Stuck Crankshaft Sprocket.....tips or tricks anyone?

Hello Folks,

I'm knee deep in a timing belt replacement on my 96 Corolla, I was dreading getting the crankshaft bolt undone, but that was a breeze....then I tried to remove the crankshaft sprocket to replace the seal behind it and im literally "stuck" in my tracks. All my manuals say this thing should "slide" off eaily, one book says if it is stuck to pry it out with two flat screw drivers.... no dice! There no room to manuever and I've thrown the wrench in for the afternoon and I'm hoping someone out there has some ideas.

A run down of what I have tried thus far:

PB spray and tapping the parts prying it out from above and nearly any angle, tried with screw drivers and even small trim bars (about 6-8 inches long)

About to head to the local parts shop and look at a "pulley puller"

You help is MUCH appreciated!

Sincerely,

Blake

Reply to
blake18

Try a two or three finger gear puller. You probably don't need a large one. That should remove it easily.

Reply to
user

=== A steering wheel puller with 6mm or 8mm bolts should remove the pulley with no risk of chipping the edges. (Prior mechanic chipped mine, probably with screwdriver or pry bar) Often once they're removed a couple of times, they do slide off much more easily. There are threaded holes in the face of the pulley for this purpose.

Reply to
nospampls2002

Thank you for the suggestions!

I ended up buying a 3 prong puller but the problem was that there was only enough clearance for a prong to get under the sprocket from the top, now other prongs could hook it. I tried it anyways with the one prong and no dice, in frustration I gave the puller a good whack on the garage floor ... which illustrated to me that it could easily be disassembled(without beating it...) then took one of the little prongs and slid it behind the sprocket, got a little leverage and one quick blow with a hammer and it was off, HUZAH!!!

Blake

Reply to
zachenos