Stumped by starter problem

Hi,

I?ve been working on my Corolla 96 and still can?t get it to start. I was wondering if anybody had any other checks or ideas for me.

Prob: Had problems starting the car, then it wouldn?t start at all. When i tried to start it, you could hear the starter relay click and a hum, that?s it.

What I?ve checked and done:

- battery is fully charged

- battery is grounded ok... atleast the wires from the negative pole

- starter relay is ok - checked for contenuity (sp?) and is ok

- removed and replaced the starter

The starter is a used one but the mechanic tested it while I was there... the unit spins and the plunger moves in and out.

I was wondering if maybe it?s another loose ground... at the starter maybe?

Not sure if it?s normal but when I reconnect the + on the battery there are small sparks, not sure if this has any relevance.

Thanks again

Sylvain

Reply to
Vball

Has a voltage drop test been done on the negative battery cable? Excessive resistance in the cable will produce the same symptom as a bad starter (relay click, etc..)

Reply to
Qslim

"Qslim" wrote in news:42827b63$1 snipped-for-privacy@spool9-east.superfeed.net:

Could it be the common Toyota "starter contacts" ailment?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I had a similar problem and replaced everything to no avail.

The problem was traced to a weak selenoid signal, maybe caused by my alarm. So there was enough electricity to make it click, but not enough to make the selenoid to go for full contact. You can test this by sticking a voltmeter on the selenoid wire, it should not drop to below 9-10 volts or so when cranking.

Reply to
bobb

Thanks guys I?ll work on that this weekend and will give you the update on Monday.

Thanks again and have a great weekend

Reply to
Vball

"Vball" wrote: > Thanks guys I'll work on that this weekend and will give you > the update on Monday. > > Thanks again and have a great weekend

Figured I?d post my findings... after multiple hours of hair removing procedures I finally got her going.

Problem:

As stated initially car wouldn?t start... I could only hear a light click (from the relay) and a hum and that?s all.

What I tried and did:

Figured it was the starter, so without checking anything else I purchased a used starter... installed it and nothing changed.

Checked the starter relay... was ok

Checked if starter was working properly by connecting it straight to the battery... plunger came in and out and spun - starter OK... this should have been my initial step, my old starter was probably still good.

Finally I decided to check for voltages at the wiring at the starter (main feed from the battery and the one from the ignition switch, the one with the plastic connector)... this I should have done as my step

2 after checking the starter. My voltages were ok - 12 V.

Reconnected the starter thinking maybe it wasn?t grounding properly on the motor. Checked ground and it was also fine.

Finally it dawned on me... have power to the starter, starter does work... can?t be the main feed cause it?s straight through and directly connected. Had to be the connector which wasn?t making contact. Unplugged the connector and with a pair of needle nose pliers I bent the metal contact down and VOILà!!!! The problem was solved.

If I would have tested in the right order, I could have saved countless hours and $75 for the starter... oh well!!!

Here?s what to check...

  1. Battery
  2. Check for power at the starter contacts... main feed and ignition feed (connector)
  3. check relay
  4. Test starter

Thanks to all

Reply to
Vball

"Vball" wrote: > Figured I'd post my findings... after multiple hours of hair > removing procedures I finally got her going. > > Problem: > > As stated initially car wouldn't start... I could only hear a > light click (from the relay) and a hum and that's all. > > What I tried and did: > > Figured it was the starter, so without checking anything else > I purchased a used starter... installed it and nothing > changed. > > Checked the starter relay... was ok > > Checked if starter was working properly by connecting it > straight to the battery... plunger came in and out and spun - > starter OK... this should have been my initial step, my old > starter was probably still good. > > Finally I decided to check for voltages at the wiring at the > starter (main feed from the battery and the one from the > ignition switch, the one with the plastic connector)... this I > should have done as my step 2 after checking the starter. My > voltages were ok - 12 V. > > Reconnected the starter thinking maybe it wasn't grounding > properly on the motor. Checked ground and it was also fine. > > Finally it dawned on me... have power to the starter, starter > does work... can't be the main feed cause it's straight > through and directly connected. Had to be the connector which > wasn't making contact. Unplugged the connector and with a > pair of needle nose pliers I bent the metal contact down and > VOILà!!!! The problem was solved. > > If I would have tested in the right order, I could have saved > countless hours and $75 for the starter... oh well!!! > > Here's what to check... > > 1. Battery > 2. Check for power at the starter contacts... main feed and > ignition feed (connector) > 3. check relay > 4. Test starter > > Thanks to all

I know its been awhile since you last posted this, but i seem to be having the same symptoms with my 97 corolla. I was hoping you could tell me what you did to solve the problems with a little more detail. can you please tell me what I should be looking for and where everytrhing s located ( pictures would be great if possible) anything you can do to help is much appreciated.

Reply to
RollaThunder

that kind of details is gonna cost u.

do u even own a voltmeter to attempt this repair? How about a lousy Haynes manual (get from public library?)

Reply to
bobb