Supra AT, Part Two (HEY! On-Topic for a change!)

Finally got to pull the plug for the ECT and check it with a meter. Readings were:

SL.6 Ohms (normal) S1= Infinity (uh-oh...) S2= Infinity (uh-oh, too...)

So, it seems the Solenoids are shot. I need some advice here; obviosly the next step is to drop the pan and do a visual/electrical check on the soleniods. Prio to that, is there anything else I can do while it is still in the garage?

Also, the TSRM says to "apply battery voltage to the solenoids and listen for engagement...". My thought was; there is a B+ pin on the ECT connector. Can I just jumper across from B+ to SL, S1 and S2? I also have an amp installed under the pass. seat and there is PLENTY of battery + available there.

Reply to
hachiroku

Do you have the troubleshooting chart? If not, let me know and I'll figure out a way to get it to you.

Yes, but it will be difficult for you to hear the solonoids. Here's a trick. Take an old extension cord (14 gauge wire will be fine) cut the ends of and bare the wires. Plug one end into S1 and B+ leave the other end open and bring it outside the vehicle so you can be close to the tranny when you cross them. Listen for the click.

Do the same for S2 and S1.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Yeah...I think I know what this means...

SL= visible SPARK and a 'click' from under the car... S1= No spark, no click... S2= No spark, no click...

I got a handle on a trans for $100 I know is good...probably cost me 2-3 times that to replace the soleniods...

Reply to
hachiroku