Supra leaks...

I knew I was losing oil last summer, just couldn't figure where.

After 6 months in the garag, with a nice big puddle of oil under the car, it looks like it's coming from the front pass. side of the engine.

According to the diagram I have, this appears to be the location of the Oil Pressure guage sending unit.

Any advice?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Teflon plumbing tape on the threads? If the tape melts, try Permatex gasket sealer on the threads.

Reply to
Ray O

make sure its not loose (try tightening it up, not overly tight tho).

they shouldn't leak if the threads are clean and the oil pressure sender is tightened up.

Reply to
cd

I didn't look into this too much. I have a '91 TSRM in .pdf. But, I don't think I have a parts idagram. Is there a seal on this?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
Hachiroku

Now that I am awake, I can think a little more clearly. I believe that the threads on the oil sender are tapered so no extra seal is necessary, but the oil sender body is crimped and sometimes leaks. It that's the case, a new sender is in order. take a good look at the sender and make sure you don't rip off the body of the sender and end up with problems getting the stem out.

Reply to
Ray O

That's about what I would do...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks for not asksing how I knew ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

OK. I'm a Gumby. Often, when something is just good enough, I have to make it just...that...much...bette...SNAP!

Or, even if I HAVE the right tool, the gods of Auto Repair are against me, and something that should take 15 minutes takes 1.5 hours...like adding the bushings to my Gr Voy. windshield wipers Monday. That and three knuckles.

THEN I saw the one bolt holding the whole mess in...

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL! I haven't taken anything apart for a while, I'm thinking about taking another shot at our Brother MFC laser fax/printer/copier that has had a paper jam for over a year. All I did was try to pull out the jammed card stock and the internal cams locked up or something. Piece of cake to fix if I can figure out how to get the *&*W$# cover off. Not having looked at it for a year will give me a fresh perspective.

Or, I could take the LS 400 to the Lexus dealer to take care of the check engine light that has been on since before Christmas - before that I should take the scan tool out of the trunk so it doesn't look like I a total fool.

Reply to
Ray O

NOOOOOOO-ooooooo! Brother makes some really decent products. Now, if they just MADE them decently, they'd have it made!

They have a Color Laser printer, the cartrigdes are inexpensive, and it prints well...

But, having worked at a place that was an authorized Brother Repair Center... There was one model in the mid-90's, great printer, fast, nice quality, but would always drop toner into the gears. You don't want toner in the gears. Poor design, basically. Then, there was one of their inkk-jets...

I also worked on Epsons at another place. Every single Stylus 800 had to come in for repair. Other than that they were good printers.

My current favorite is Canon, but there is an Oki color laser that is inexpensive, and the cartridges are also easily affordable. Based on the

1994 OkiLaser I have sitting next to me...without a singe repair...

Could be an idea!

Reply to
Hachiroku

You know, you could always take the scan tool out of the trunk and

*plug it in* to the OBD port, and see what it says... Gee! What a concept! ;-)

Oh, and go look at your grammar above really carefully, with special attention given to the last few words... You don't have to worry about us figuring it out, we already know. ;-P

(Did I say that out loud?)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Other than me trying to pull card stock out of the manual feed slot, the printer has worked flawlessly. It is an MFC 8300 laser, and the toner cartridges are under $50, a lot less than the $100+ HP toner cartridges cost. When it was working, it had great print quality, decent speed, and low cost of operation.

We have a Lexmark Optra 1200 color laser at the office, it is the second and last Lexmark I'll ever buy. We had a Lexmark printer at home, it cost more to fix than it was worth so we replaced it with the Brother. The Lexmark color laser's cartridges are around $120 each and it has 5 different cartridges, plus it has a drum or something that has to be replaced every so often for $450, plus it needed a new transport belt for big bucks plus 2 or

3 other repairs. I could never get the network capability to work right so I ended up hooking it up to a print server.

I have not done a lot of serious shopping to replace our color laser at the office but there are not many color printers that print at least 12 ppm color and have the ability to print on 11" x 17" paper and have network capability. The Xerox printer (I think it was originally Techtronics before they got bought by Xerox) that uses what looks like wax blocks looks like a viable candidate.

Reply to
Ray O

I think there is a saying about the shoemaker's children going barefoot - I guess it is the shoemaker in this case.

I did pull the code, I think it was a P0420 - catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1), which I'm pretty sure points to the #2 O2 sensor being a little lazy. It should be covered under the emissions warranty, I hope!

Oops! typo! it should say ..."I am a total fool." One must be able to laugh at one's shortcomings and mistakes and be able to join everyone else!

Reply to
Ray O

Damn! I gotta be laughing at myself all the time!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

At least you have a sense of humor!

Reply to
Ray O

Tektronix was good stuff, expensive but bulletproof.

Wax blocks indicate Dye Sublimation (which was used extensively by Tektronix) and is a decent printing system, ok for photos and very good for color text. QMS was another heavy-hitter; newspapers used them to set up pages because of their excellent duty cycles and the fact they rarely broke.

I just looked them up and they now come under Konica-Minolta. Interesting. IIRC they used to be from Shreveport or somewhere in the bowels of the south.

starting at $799...

Reply to
Hachiroku

So what would you buy if you were in the market?

Reply to
Ray O

Interesting. Is this for YOU or for the Office? What's your budget and what kind of speed are you looking for? How many people in the office?

We just bought an HP3500 color laser. I can imagine the cartridges will be expensive, and the thing is made out of such cheap plastic I was afraid to handle it when I set it up! But, set up was easy, the machine is FAST and it connected to the network right away. We had 6 people sharing it in about 25 minutes. But it feels and looks flimsy.

Canon is generally a good choice all the way around.

This is the Oki I was talking about. Good all-around printer, their LED Laser printers USED to be bulletproof! All I ever did was hook 'em up and replace the cartridges. For $35 you replace the cartridge AND the drum!

This is a 12ppm color printer, network ready, and cartrdges are $60, but yield 1.500 pages per.

There is a Konica-Minolta that the consumables are about $100, but yield

5,000 pages. They used to make good stuff.

Ricohs used to be pretty good, too and are advertising 17ppm color. One lists consumables at $184!!!!! for 9,800 pages, another $35 for 5,000 (there's a no-brainer, eh?)

I buy my printers at the Salvation Army. I have a Xerox WorkCentre, $19, about 2 years now, another Oki 600, $5, 3 years now. I also had an old HP, $8, ran for about a year, but is till functions as a FAX but keeps telling me the cartridge is empty once it gets 1/3 down...

Reply to
Hachiroku

The printer would be for the office. There are now 3 people/partners in our office, we could possibly have more people in the future.

Budget is flexible although I don't want to spend as much as I did for the Lexmark, which was around $5,000. I'd prefer to keep it under $1,500 if possible and I'd like to lower consumable cost and improve reliability.

We occasionally print maps on 11" x 17" paper so the ability to print on that size would be a big bonus.

Speed is at least 12 ppm color. We have an HP LaserJet 4Plus that we use for monochrome that has proven to be trouble-free and bulletproof since we bought it, IIRC, about 12 years ago.

Hmmm. Oki would be an interesting brand name in our office!

Lots of choices, reliability and ease of use would be nice so I don't have to spend time futzing with the printer.

Reply to
Ray O