SUV owners, what was your first experience?

Hi,

I currently have a Camry that I want to replace because I need something that can haul stuff around. So I test drove a 2WD Highlander because everyone says it drives like a car, well, to me it seemed more like driving a UPS truck,...high up, doesn't like to turn, ready to make milk deliveries, not too pleasant driving kind of car (truck). (and this is coming from a boring Camry owner!)

Although I've been in many SUV's this is the first time I drove one, is this something you just get use too? Or did your first drive in a SUV seem like, wow, this is greatest thing since sliced bread?

I like the Highlander otherwise, right size, looks nice, nice interior, etc etc....., just wondering if I need to rent one for a weekend to see if I will get use to it, or if the first experience is bad, it will always be bad so don't bother? Guessing I might need a station wagon but Toyota doesn't make any :(

Reply to
bungalow_steve

The Highlander is probably the most car-like SUV that Toyota makes, especially since it is built on a car chassis. I suspect that the higher seating position in the Highlander makes it seem more truck-like. You may want to try driving a 4-Runner and Sequoia and then drive the Highlander again. You may appreciate how un truck-like the Highlander is. Toyota does make the Matrix/Vibe if it is big enough.

Reply to
Ray O

The Rav4 is superb. Very car-like to drive. Some even call it 'sporty'.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Driven a few 4-runners, a rangerover and a landcruiser. None of them feel like a car, and if you treat them like one you will roll it. If you want car handling get a car/estate.

bungalow snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Coyoteboy

if you think highlander drives like a truck try to drive one of the competitors or a truck then you will have a better relative comparison {4runner, pathfinder, VUE, Escape, Explorer Sport trac }

I just took delivery of '06 highlander V6

**I like it** because it blends alot of features i finally realized i needed and wanted in a new car, larger cargo area, safe crash rating, decent gas mileage for the size, comfortable, a little higher off ground, quality name, longevity, price etc.

i wasn't expecting any thing SUV to drive like a car but some SUV drive more like a car than others i plan to keep my sporty car for sporty rides and use the highlander for other stuff

biggest trouble i had was deciding what i really needed vs what i wanted so i went through gambit of cars when trying to decide e.g. Volvo S60, v70, v40, xc90, Acura TL, Accord v6, Ford Escape, Toyo Highlander, Honda Pilot, Saturn VUE, etc...

I do not think you will find a vehicle that does it all, that is gives you the best of car and SUV/Van world (well maybe the **Cayane**) one of the cross-over cars may be close

These links show rollover ratings for various cars , the highlander is in top of list (lower rollover) and compare with some Vans and Cars which have a higher rollover rating or equal to highlander.

HTH

Reply to
Rob B

[snip]

Way back when, on a number of occasions, I drove a 1978 K-5 Blazer -

6-cylinder engine, 3-speed stick, hi4/lo4/hi2 ranges, drove like, well, a truck, drank like W.C.Fields and it was like riding a bucking bronco (tall + short wheelbase = lots of pitching). It did have good off-road capability. I liked it OK, it was just a different driving experience than a sedan or station wagon.

My Rav4s, which do NOT have AWD are good on gas, comfortable, drive like a car and, because they're small and have a good turning radius, are very easy to park. Enough power for all practical purposes. I'd call them "car-like."

I did test-drive an AWD Rav4 on a couple of occasions and they behaved just like the FWD versions, as near as I could tell.

I did notice that, in spite of the taller profile and short wheelbase, you don't seem to pitch back and forth all that much. Maybe height/wheelbase ratio is better than on the K-5 or the suspension makes a difference - whatever - it's a nice vehicle to drive.

Reply to
dh

[snip]

On a number of occasions, I drove a 1978 K-5 Blazer - 6-cylinder engine,

3-speed stick, hi4/lo4/hi2 ranges, drove like, well, a truck, drank like W.C.Fields and it was like riding a bucking bronco (tall + short wheelbase = lots of pitching). It did have good off-road capability.

My Rav4s, which do NOT have AWD are good on gas, comfortable, drive like a car and, because they're small and have a good turning radius, are very easy to park. Enough power for all practical purposes.

I did test-drive an AWD Rav4 on a couple of occasions and they behaved just like the FWD versions, as near as I could tell.

I did notice that, in spite of the taller profile and short wheelbase, you don't seem to pitch back and forth all that much. Maybe height/wheelbase ratio is better than on the K-5 or the suspension makes a difference - whatever - it's a nice car to drive.

Reply to
dh