Synthetic oil for LE 2000 Camry V6

I have a 2000 V6 Camry LE with 43K miles. Will there be any problems if i switch to Mobil 1 synthetic 5W 30 this late in the game. I have been using regular oil all this while

thanks

Reply to
david

save some $ use Walmarts 10w-30 full synth

Reply to
Bob H

my toyota dealer says that mobil 1 is the oil used for oil changes. But i doubt they nor factory care what they put in a car as long as it gets a car through the warranty period then the dealer hopes to service service service.

I had same dilema a couple years ago, go synthetic or stay dino and what particular brand ? Also, what oil filter to use ?

i eventually convinced myself through web research to go synthetic/dino blend (1qt mobil 1 + 3 qt mobil 5000) and a 'mobil 1' or 'puralator pure one' filter. Note: there were not any mass marketed synthetic blends several years ago and now all the oilers seem to have a synthetic blend. So maybe a pre-packaged synthetic blend like "Mobil clean 7500" will give you cheaper peace of mind.

Some will claim blend is waste of synthetic, then some claim all synthetic waste of money and maybe even bad idea, lots of unsuopported opinions around below are sample of soe=me links i have used to convince myself there are others links but htese cover most.

Seems that Amsoil and Mobil are leaders of the pack with synthetics starting in 70's. according to this comparison write up (amsoil site)

Oil filter info help me decide on filter
sample Oil synthetic info i used to decide on oil
HTH robb

Reply to
Rob B

Several venders, including Toyota, had a sluge problem with several motors because the heads stayed too cool. To avoid this sluge buildup Toyota recommends a switch to Mobit 1 5W-30. The Amsol information on its web site is not credible, but it is a satisfactory product dispite that fact.

There is no problem if you switch to a full synthetic at this time. Avoid semi-synthetic products, they offer little benefit over any quality standard oil.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I've been using synthetic blend in my 98 Camry CE for the last 50K mi or so (out of 120K total) - no problems at all - in fact my gas mileage went up a bit. Some will probably claim there shouldn't be a mileage difference, but the difference is there and consistent. Haven't tried full-synthetic. Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

I started using Mobil 1 5W-30 on my 1998 camry CE with 4-cyl engine at

100K Kms. I have driven 50K Kms since and have no problems to report. Use Mobil 1 since this product is certified by Toyota and has no effect on warranty.

-Rav

Reply to
rajwal

I'm another 5w-30 Mobil one convert... I wouldn't use anything else. Also... unless you do a ton of stop and go... follow the owners manual and change every 7500.

I use a toyota filter when I can get them on sale...my second choice is Wix... Fram is bottom of the barrel.

Reply to
Darren