Talk about expensive parts. ouch

Like air bags a few years ago, thieves have discovered another high priced part that is easy to steal and resell. NYC police report that thieves are stealing doors of off Camrys and Highlanders and selling them to unscrupulous body shops. According to the insurance claims, the cost of replacing a Camry door is $5,200 per door. Some owners have had all four doors taken while others are loosing just the rear doors to the thieves. The Highlander doors are even more expensive.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

$5,200 per door? Times 4 = $20,800. Now you know wutz the rest of yer car's worth. LOL

Reply to
Bassplayer12

I think you need to check the facts on this one. I just took a quick look at the prices for Camry door parts at

and if you bought every single part in the door separately, you wouldn't be anywhere near $5,200. The total cost of all new parts, from this Toyota dealer would be less than $1800 for a front door. I realize some assembly would be required, but I also realize that some of the parts are available from alternate sources for lower prices (and probably lower quality as well). I would guess a junk yard should be willing to sell you a door for under $1200. Now I suppose stealing 4 doors off a Camry might net a thief a few thousand dollars. However, if you have the time to steal four doors, why not just take the whole car? I am confident it would be faster to load the car on a rollback than removing four doors from a parked car (and less obvious). Any insurance company that is paying $5200 per Toyota door deserves to go out of business.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The figure given was what the insurance agent said they paid the body shop as the cost of replacing the rear door on the vehicle. If the Tribune Newspapers report was faulty, tell them, or at least call the insurance company and tell them YOU will do it for less LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Any part you can remove in a minute is at risk. How about tires, wheels and rear tail lights? There's $2000 for the average car. A driver's side door with the power switches could easily approach and exceed $2000. I carry comprehensive on a 10 year old car. I don't feel taken. Just a cost of living in a city.

Reply to
Alex

Well, I carry a $1000 deductible on the collision insurance and a $500 deductible on the comprehensive--this keeps premiums relatively low.

Reply to
Sharx35

High deductibles on collision coverage can indeed save one a lot of money in premiums but you might want to check with your insurance agent. I believe you will be surprised to find how small the difference is in premium is between $500 deductible comprehensive and $50, or even zero deductible. In my case it is only $27, per vehicle, more a year for zero deductible

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I posted here because you are the one reporting it to this group and you did not provide a reference for the figure. Didn't you think it sounded unbelievable? I can believe it cost $5200 for a body shop to replace a rear door but I am sure that figure also included other work (painting, fixing related damage, etc). Replacing one door might have cost $5200, but I doubt that replacing four doors would have cost $5200 each ($20,800). The actual cost of the "door part" was probably only a fraction of the total $5200.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

it don't have to be a 4 year old Camry

I saw a new 1997 Ford Escort at the Ford dealer in Manhattan, KS (ford rent-a-car) that had 600 miles on it, minimal damage to the bumper, both airbags blown, and windshield wiped out

totalled due to dashboard/airbag/windshield damage

Reply to
markansas859

True, anytime any vehicles is damage up to the retail value the insurance company can total the car. In a case like that one can always choose to accept a check for the value, less the salvage and fix their car themselves. Contrary to what many believe there is no law requiring an individual owner to repair their car to its original condition or to repair it at all for that matter ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The fact is one can not buy a complete door. You need to buy the door, the hinges, the latch, the locks, the window mechanism, the glass, the interior panel and arm rest as well as all of the related switches and/or cranks and the other doodads one finds on or in a door plus the cost of assembling and mounting of all that stuff, but I guess one can always choose to leave the doors unpainted or do without the interior panel to same $1,000 or so. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

OUT HERE ... when the damage exceeds approx 2/3rds of the car's current market value ... the vehicle is totaled out. That's why it's so easy to total out a 3-4 year old vehicle largely do to air bag deployment.

Reply to
Philip

Who is your insurance company? With State Farm last chance I check it was at least $100 difference.

Reply to
Art

I have my coverage with All State as well. You are apparently rated differently than I. What is your annual premium? I will be 80 years old in March and my wife is shall we say over 65 as well. My total annual premium for a million dollar policy, no fault, limited tort, stacked underinsured, uninsured, with $1,000 collision ded and zero comp ded coverage on a 2005 Mustang GT convertible and a 20006 Lincoln Zephyr is $1,200.40

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Re: Talk about expensive parts. ouch Group: alt.autos.toyota Date: Mon, Jan 2, 2006, 2:56pm From: snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com (Mike=A0Hunter) I have my coverage with All State as well. You are apparently rated differently than I. What is your annual premium? I will be 80 years old in March and my wife is shall we say over 65 as well. =A0 My total annual premium for a million dollar policy, no fault, limited tort, stacked underinsured, uninsured, with $1,000 collision ded and zero comp ded coverage on a 2005 Mustang GT convertible and a 20006 Lincoln Zephyr is $1,200.40 mike hunt

-----------------

Munt,

They figure you can't drive more than 35 MPH at your age..

But you old geezers cause the rest of us to pay higher premiums..

CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

it don't have to be a 4 year old Camry I saw a new 1997 Ford Escort at the Ford dealer in Manhattan, KS (ford rent-a-car) that had 600 miles on it, minimal damage to the bumper, both airbags blown, and windshield wiped out totalled due to dashboard/airbag/windshield damage

----------------

A '97 Escort???? LMAO...

I think that car at that age is already totaled out...You probably had to write THEM a check after they wrote it off.. CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Charles Pisano) wrote: snip

Well, if everyone drove at 35 like you accuse us 'old geezers' of doing then we'd all be paying pennies for insurance, so looks like you 'young careless children' are causing us mature folks to 'pay higher premiums' eh?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I've been driving since I was 15, and have never had an at fault accident.. The only time I see 35 is on the was up to 70 or 80 and back. LOL

mike hunt

Re: Talk about expensive parts. ouch

Group: alt.autos.toyota Date: Mon, Jan 2, 2006, 2:56pm From: snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com (Mike Hunter) I have my coverage with All State as well. You are apparently rated differently than I. What is your annual premium? I will be 80 years old in March and my wife is shall we say over 65 as well. My total annual premium for a million dollar policy, no fault, limited tort, stacked underinsured, uninsured, with $1,000 collision ded and zero comp ded coverage on a 2005 Mustang GT convertible and a 20006 Lincoln Zephyr is $1,200.40 mike hunt

-----------------

Munt,

They figure you can't drive more than 35 MPH at your age..

But you old geezers cause the rest of us to pay higher premiums..

CP

Reply to
Mike Hunter

it was a 1997 Escort, in the year 1997