Tarago heater stays warm

I hope I'm not talking about something thats already been covered. I have a 1994 Tarago, an Australian version. The heater blows warm air from all vents when the temp is set to cool. I think the vent temp should be the same as the outside temp but it's at least 15 to 20 degrees warmer. On a cold day this isnt too much of a problem but on a warm day when all you want is some ventillation from outside, it's like having the heater on and I have to use the air con to compensate. The Aircon works fine though, even on the hottest day. The Toyota dealer says that because the air intake is at the rear of the bonnet right over the engine, the air is heating up in the intake. If this was the case I should be able to rectify it by using the recycle feature and get air from inside the car but it's still warm so I dont think its being heated up by the intake pipe. Has anyone seen or heard of this before?. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
BumHead

Ah..a Previa... ;)

I would look under the hood, and be looking for a valve that is connected to a hose going into the firewall. There are a few former Previa owners here, maybe they can help more, since I don't really know if this valve is controlled by a cable or by vacuum. I would be looking for a valve attached to a heater hose going into the firewall, and make sure the vavle moves when the temp control is moved.

Sorry, just generic troubleshooting, but I believe this is the cause of your problem!

If you don't get any further responses, repost with the name 'Previa' in the title!

Good luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
BumHead

Hmmm...usually, these are located behind the glove box. Try removing the glove box and see if you can discern what's going on back there!

Reply to
Hachiroku

There is a heater control valve somewhere that controls the amount of hot colant going to the heater core. I never looked for it in a Tarago/Previa but it is probably on the firewall in front of the passenger compartment.

Make sure the lever on the heater control valve moves when the temperature control lever is moved inside.

Reply to
Ray O

I think I stuffed up, I said it was a 94 but it's actually a 2004. In any case it sounds like there isnt any common faults in that model that I can find. I'm currently looking for a schematic diagram of the heater so i can see what each of the flaps do, but at this stage I'm at a standstill with it. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
BumHead

LOL! Yeah, a bit of a difference there! In that case, you are correct in that the heating is controlled by flaps! But, there may be a valve still. At least on a Caravan (Dodge..NOT a 'camper'!!) I had there was still a vavle that would close when the lever was moved fully to Cold.

Reply to
Hachiroku