Tercel, Corolla, noisy rat-box?

Is a Corolla any less noisy and rough than a Tercel? I drove my nephew's 95 Tercel on the freeway and now I'm sure I don't want one. It is rough on bumps, there's a lot of road noise, etc.

I am sure I cannot afford a used Camry or Avalon so Corolla is most likely what I will get.

So, is it noisy and rough like the Tercel, or smooth and quiet?

What if I add a few layers of dynamat?

thx Tom Seattle

Reply to
I Love Edsels

Take one for a test drive.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

my '95 Tercel was a GREAT CAR!!! I sold it to buy a Supra. I'm sorry I did that...almost! I was getting 44MPG with an Automatic Tranny!

It's a bit nicer...what I did with my Tercel was put in 600 Watts and 6.5" speakers all the way around. What 'roadnoise'?

Too expensive! By the time you get done with that, you could have just bought a Camry!

Reply to
Hachiroku

My previous car was a 92 Tercel LE sedan. I like the way it handled, not excessively noisy, and a fun car to drive. My new 2007 Corolla CE sedan feels like a bigger car, quieter and smoother, but still retains some of the handling characteristics of my old Tercel. The biggest difference I found was that I felt much closer to the ground and bumps in the road were felt much more acutely in the Tercel. There is lots more head room in my new Corolla, so I don't need to bend my head way over to get in and out of the car. The trunk is more roomy, and the engine compartment doesn't seem to be as crammed.

Right now I just use my Corolla for local errands and it hasn't really been broken in yet. I find the Corolla's fuel consumption is greater than my old Tercel -- I thought it would have been about the same or better given the 14 years of advances in engine technology. With that in mind, I'm glad I didn't go with the Camry, because I didn't really need more cabin space and higher operating fuel costs.

Reply to
homepc

This is also due to the latest Corolla design being higher, in general. (I've had Corollas since '84.) The roof is considerably higher than it used to be, so the top line of the doors is also, the seats sit up higher... the whole thing sits up higher than it used to.

Cathy

The trunk is more roomy, and the engine compartment doesn't seem to be

Reply to
Cathy F.

I'd like to know how that was accomplished... my overall is 33ish.

Reply to
Joe Schmuckatelli

Indeed... I'll have to give that a go and see what happens. I suppose I should also take into account the fact that most of my mileage is commuter driving, and as such, sitting in traffic on Interstate 5 doesn't exactly help my cause. :-)

Reply to
Joe Schmuckatelli

thanks for the info. now, if anyone could gimme the straight poop on how to fit big 6x9 speakers in the doors, life will indeed be good.

as for the OT comments, I order the closure of the old thread on the basis that it has become too silly! Stop! Stop that being silly! Thank you.

Reply to
I Love Edsels