The Electric Car vs the Bicycle --and the winner is...

IEEE is running an article in the IEEE Spectrum Magazine titled "Unclean

> > at Any Speed". > > > > It is a critique of the environmental impact of electric cars. > > > > "London?s mayor, Boris Johnson, once breathlessly asserted that the all - > > electric Tesla Roadster sports coupe produced ?no more noxious vapors > > than a dandelion in an alpine meadow.? But Ozzie Zehner, a former plug- in > > advocate, advises would-be EV cheerleaders to look beyond the missing > > tailpipe. Zehner had built a plug-in of his own, then later reached the > > conclusion that electrifying cars just trades one set of environmental > > problems for another. Author of the book Green Illusions, Zehner says EVs > > get good press mainly because most electric-car assessments fail to > > consider the environmental impacts over a vehicle?s entire life cycle, > > from its construction through operation and on to its eventual retirement > > at the junkyard."

It's Bush's idea to work on electric cars instead of more obvious choices. It must have been another money-dumping scheme of his.

The way to go --the simple way, the healthy way-- is to ride a bicycle. I m ay say the electric bicycle is the smart choice given the space to ride it far and wide.

His Highness the Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher

It's Bush's idea to work on electric cars instead of more obvious choices. It must have been another money-dumping scheme of his.

The way to go --the simple way, the healthy way-- is to ride a bicycle. I may say the electric bicycle is the smart choice given the space to ride it far and wide.

I need three 16-foot boards to do repairs on my patio cover. Can you jump on your bike and go to the store and bring them home for me? No?. Okay.

I have a crying baby and an empty 'fridge. Jump on your bike and go to the store and gather up my grocery list -- I'll give you the money -- for me. Thanks. Can't do that on a bike? Damn it.

Here's one you can do... I need you to go to the high school and pick up my niece and her friend and bring them to my house. I appreciate it, a lot. Wait, you can't fit two, or even one, passengers on your bike. Crap!

You can ride your bike for personal fun and pleasure, but to say it is a suitable replacement for an automobile is stupid. Maybe YOU can sell your car and spend your days riding a bike, but there are very few others that can do this, and they probably already did it.

You see the world through your eyes, but you are blind to the realities that the rest of us face. Nobody is demanding you buy a car, and you should stop demanding the rest of us ride a bike.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland