Thread size/pitch on Toyota 7MGE oil pressure sender?

On the metric sizer it seems to best fit an M10 x 1 thread however it's tapered. Can anyone identify what size it is?

Thanks

Reply to
Doc

Tapered threads are referred to as NPT, and are NOT regular SAE or Metric sizes. Sorry I don't know which NPT size that sender is off-hand, just do NOT try a regular die on it. You be better off with a thread file.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Geoff Welsh wrote in news:khlr4q$j3o$1@dont- email.me:

Sometimes they're British pipe threads, not NPT.

Tegger

There's also a metric taper standard, which is almost certainly what he's dealing with.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I _believe_ that oil pressure sending unit threads are a standard. If I am correct, then you cannot go wrong. Don't you need another sending unit? If yes, then you don't care what the thread count/pitch is, because the next sending unit will by definition be the right part to fill the hole.

Take your sending unit to the parts store and tell the guy you need another one.

If you are wanting to change from an electric sending unit to a mechanical one, then you will still need the old sending unit to know what fittings you will need for the mechanical oil pressure sending unit. You can have both the electric sending unit and the associated idiot light, and have a mechanical sending unit. All you need to do is find an oil port near the oil filter, and screw a mechanical sending unit in there.

Your issue, the oil pressure light comes on at idle, is not an alarming problem. That is, it is not fatal. Engines have been known to go for years and many tens of thousands of miles with this condition. You might resolve this issue with heavier oil, perhaps a 20w50 will do the trick. (This solution might not work very well in cold climates, but it would be very good in a climate like Phoenix or San Diego.)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland