Timing Belt Replacement

Published labor time for the water pump is 3.5 hours w/ AC Published labor time for just the timing belt is 3.2 hours w/AC

Reply to
aarcuda69062

No need is correct, but that's not necessarily prudent.

Use OE, screw Gates.

Because they don't last forever.

$400-$500 would be more like it.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I warned my sister in law to have her timing belt and water pump maintenance done at 100K on her 2000 Camry, at 104K the water pump bearing seized, chucked the belt and there it sat. Her delay added a $100 tow bill to the job.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Certainly NOT the case on either engine used in the Camry.

The 2.2 and 3.0 both have a timing belt driven water pump.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

But those who know just enough to be dangerous can't help themselves.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

You've ruined Shmuckland's exquisitely stupid generalization. Nice work.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Jeff Strickland generally posts useful information although they are sometimes IMO a little overly complex. If there is a shortcoming in the information he posts, it is that some of it tends to be more applicable to BMW's and Jeeps than Toyotas, or that the assumption is that everyone does it the same way as BMW and Jeep.

Reply to
Ray O

She's lucky it was a NI engine, or it would have added $1100 to the bill...

I had a '94 Chrysler LHS, and they had WPs that would seize, too. It was also an Interference engine...

Reply to
hachiroku

That's Toyota's standard (usually) and anyone that uses AllData.

I was quoted a price of $1200 to replace the head gaskets on my Subaru, and an additional $300 to replace the timing belts. "But, you have to take the belts off to do the headgaskets!!!!" "It's what the book says..."

Reply to
hachiroku

I doubt seriously that one could get an interference engine repaired for $1100 if the timing chain broke. I know someone who paid about 3K.

Reply to
Mark A

A good deal of cars are now. My Chrysler LHS was driven off the timing belt, and the Mazda 626 is driven off the timing belt. The '89 Subaru is driven off the fan belt, and is 'old style', ie a separate, 'external' water pump, as is the Supra. I think the '97 Subaru is driven off the water pump (I know the oil pump on both cars is driven by the TB), the tC I'm not sure, but a TB driven WP wouldn't surprise me at all.

Reply to
hachiroku

I'm higher priced then that...

The 3.2/3.5 was non interference until 1998.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Dunno... I could e-mail comboverfish and ask him how they charge at his dealership. I don't know that AllData is any different than any other labor guide, I use Mitchell

I hope you voted with your feet.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Suppose you were having hernia surgery and you asked the doctor to take out your appendix as long as they're in there and have you under. How do you suppose they'd bill it?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

My Tow bill was 150, my rental 200, my inconvience 300, not using my trusted mechanic was worth 300, id say I paid double by not thinking about it and letting it break on the road, im lucky it was daylight in a good part of chgo.

Reply to
ransley

Why not just change out the whole engine, they don't last for ever either.

Reply to
dbu

What's the labor rate there, $78/hour? Maybe more? A less than honest mech, that's almost $600 labor plus parts which they charge full retail for the belts and pump, plus rags, shop supplies. I can see how someone came up with $700 for TB change, LOL.

Now if you had a vehicle with a timing chain would you be worried about changing it and the water pump?

I just removed a timing belt from a 1989 Trooper II and the belt still looked ok, no tears or lateral cracks although the teeth looked a little worn. The vehicle had 80000 plus miles on the ody.

Reply to
dbu

It has been my experience that dealers will try to get everything they can out of any repair. They'll even hold you upside down and shake you to get the last penny.

When dealers first started using 'book prices' I took my '67 Plymouth to the local Chrysler dealer, where I bought it, for a major tune up. The service writer said that it need to have the heat riser valve freed up (I don't remember what they're called). The mechanic took the manifold off and put it in to soak while he went to lunch. They charged me an hour's labor while it soaked. I've never been back to that dealer for anything (he's out of business now) and I won't go to a dealer's shop for anything except warranty repairs and recalls. I don't mind paying for my service and I know all about the costs of doing business but I refuse to bend over and grab my ankles.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

And of course that book doesn't show the engines with timing *chains* that drive the water pump.

Bill Putney

You guys act like it's the driver's fault if the timing belt breaks. Back in the 1930's, there was an engine built with an overhead cam that used a chain to drive the cam. The chain lasted for the life of the engine and several car engines still use them today. It seems to me that car manufacturers are shifting more and more design fault responsibilities and costs over to the buyer. Timing belts are a BAD idea and driving accessories like the water pump off of the timing belt or chain is an even worse idea.

Don't buy cars that use timing belts. Why buy a car with designed in additional maintenance costs?

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP