timing belt supplier

Jack wonders,

Where can I get a good price on a timing belt in southern Ontario (Kitchener)?

It's time to put one on the Corolla! PartSource wants $40 and the dealer wants $55.

A few years ago I bought one for $15 (in Thunder Bay) and it is working fine (now due to replace).

Your opinions welcomed,

- Jack

Reply to
Ralph

I use Gates Belts. The '95 Tercel I owned had had the belt replaced at 60,000 miles (Actually, 58,000 when it needed some other work). Being a dilligent owner as I am, I let it go to 130,000 and changed the belt when I sold the car. The belt on the car looked BRAND NEW!!! No wearing, no cracks, no signs of deterioration AT ALL!!!

I don't know if it was just an exceptionally good run, but you bet the next time I got a belt, it was a Gates!

Should be availabe at CDN Tire or, if AutoZone has crept up there yet, there or CarQuest if THEY have gone North of the Border yet! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks for the reply Hachiroku.

CTC wants $40 too (they own PartSource).

BestBuy has one for $25.55, the best price so far.

Yes, I noticed that the old belt looked fine when I last changed the timing belt. I caled the dealer and the service rep said he'd seen them last a lot longer, and also seen them go right after 90,000 km (or whatever the exact replacement interval is).

I would prefer to change it in my driveway rather than beside some mosquito-infested swamp, or out in a blizzard somewhere.

Best to you,

Jack

Reply to
Ralph

Ralph,

IMO, I would use the OEM belt. This is one of the very few parts that I don't skimp on.

Joey