Tire Inflation Levels

I don't know about you but I appreciate Ray's in depth advice, even if he as you claim, points things out that may seem irrelevant. Perhaps you could do the rest of us a favor and keep your comments to yourself. I appreciate Ray O's advice and if he wants to offer FREE/ VALUABLE advice about Toyota's or anything else he seems to be knowledgeable in, then by all means let him do so. This newsgroup is a very valuable resource and while many people contribute to that success, Ray O is a big factor in it. I personally appreciate the time he takes to answer everyones questions.

Reply to
mrsteveo

I visited Les Schwab and had tires rotated and filled to the proper inflation levels. Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.

Reply to
mrsteveo

"Tomes" ...

Never mind that someone is dissing one of the few always-nice guys on this NG, but in the 2 decades of taking our Toyotas to dealers for changes, (occasionally taking them elsewhere for convenience), nobody has ever said, "This car has to wrong oil" nor have we had any problems.

Add to that, I've never seen anyone on a Toyota forum complain of this until now.

Interesting.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Many people have reported that most Toyota Dealers use 10W-30 so that they only have to stock one viscosity in bulk. That has been my experience also.

It is possible that things have changed in very recent years, but I doubt that 100% of the dealers use 5W-30 on cars that call for it.

Reply to
Mark A

I think it is interesting that the cars ship with the outside mirrors detached, but I don't think it is particularly important as to whether they were taken off, or never installed in the first place.

Reply to
Mark A

Exactly. It may not be important, but it's interesting; fun to find out little bits of info like this. IMO.

Cahty

Reply to
Cathy F.

Right; go figure. Grrrr...

but in the 2 decades of taking our Toyotas to dealers for changes,

I've had virtually every oil change done at the dealership since '84. No probs.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

2 decades is a long time, but for about the last 10 years Toyota has specified 5W-30 for most of its engines. Over the last 10 years, most dealers use 10W-30 to avoid having to stock a lot of different oils (in cars that call for 5W-30).

The fact that no one told you your car has the wrong oil, or that you have not explicitly encountered an oil related problem that you know of, does not obviate the fact that dealers after do not use the Toyota recommended oil viscosity.

Reply to
Mark A

I appreciate Ray's advice also, but sometimes he goes a little to far IMO.

I have been posting on this forum for a long time also, and I have answered quite a few questions myself.

Reply to
Mark A

That is not the issue. The issue is whether you got 5W-30 oil (as recommended by Toyota for cars built in the last 10 years) or whether the dealer used 10W-30 (or something else) because they don't want to stock a lot of different oils in bulk..

Everyone (including Ray) complains about the cheapo Fram $3 oil filters with the cardboard end cap (and rightly so because they are crap) but I have yet to see anyone who can prove that using it ever caused a problem.

Reply to
Mark A

how do you go 'to' far?

Is that a town in Iowa?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Yes it is. How did you know?

Reply to
Mark A

It sounds like you are a bit too sensitive to be posting in an open forum, sweetie.

Ray always give good info and asks nothing in return. Apparently you have a stick up your ass, which is your problem, not his.

Reply to
Truckdude

Lots of real Toyota techs (not corporate people) and other knowledgeable people post on this forum and don't ask anything in return.

But in fact Ray does ask something in return. He asks that you buy into the myth that Toyota dealers never make mistakes and always provide good service. Now certainly, many dealers do provide good service most of the time, but they do sometimes make serious mistakes. And the people the Dealers hire to do oil changes (typically not Toyota Certified Techs) or prep cars, are no better than you find at Jiffy Lube.

Ray's job is to promote Toyota dealer service. he gets paid to do that (or did at one time). He is not now a Toyota Mechanic. Often times he does have valuable advice for people, but much of his advice is not any better than the average knowledgeable person. This is especially so when he talks about tires, which is what started this sub-thread (when one idiot swooned at Ray's comments about tire pressure, while ignoring everyone else who had just as much good information). I would take Ray's comments with a grain of salt, sort of like talking to a Toyota Dealer Service Advisor--sometimes it is the truth, and sometimes you had better hold on to your wallet.

Reply to
Mark A

Amen!

I can certainly understand people lashing out at me.....after all I invite it....but Ray?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Well....

Let's see.....

Ray O or Mark A......

I'm listening to Ray, because his advice is pretty much right on.

You, on the other hand, come in here and make statements that are absolutely false.

One of your statements said Toy dealers use the wrong oil in their service departments. That is false.

I actually think his viewpoint from management side of Toyota, is quite refreshing and certainly solidifies my opinion of the corporation.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Clunk. I agree w/Scott again! Holy crow, what is the world coming to?!

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I am not lashing out at Ray. I just asked him whether it is really necessary to make a distinction between a mirror that was never installed, or a mirror that was removed, when cars are shipped without mirrors. Maybe Ray is the one who is a bit anal. The point was that the cars are shipped without the side view mirrors.

I am lashing out at people who take everything Ray says as gospel and ignore everyone else. For example, when about 5 people offer good advice about tire pressure it is ignored until Ray posts something about it. Toyota does not make tires (and does not even provide a warranty for the ones on their cars).

Reply to
Mark A

I'm going to brekky with a good buddy tomorrow. The greatest pancakes in the world and some lively conversation.

After that we'll go out to the Venice Florida Jetties. I'll get some great photographs of pelicans etc and some more conversation.

You are invited.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Double clunk. Ouch.