Tire Pressure Check

Every time one rides, it seems. And mine need a 10psi boost every week, no matter what. Probably a combination of high pressure and small volume makes the change more noticeable than in a car.

Are you using Kevlar-reinforced tires?

Reply to
DH

On one of my bikes I have replaced the tire with Kevlar. I carry a air pump and spare tube and changing tools with me. I've had a couple occasions where I had to change a tube a few miles out. It's just as easy to change as to patch.

Reply to
dbu`

That's right about where I keep mine at. Reminds me I have to check them today, I'm going on a 400 mile road trip tommorrow.

Reply to
dbu`

I'm using Kevlar-reinforced tires, but I think it is the tube that loses air, not the tire.

I lose about 10 pounds a week on my mountain bike.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

So far, I've been lucky.

I have a spare tube, tube patches and an air pump onboard....

I'd bet the first time I get as smart as Joey, and leave them at home....I'd need them....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

And what goes into the pump hose when you connect it.

Reply to
B A R R Y

True that....

On a mountain bike, it isn't much, but I'd imagine a road bike would be a lot percentage wise.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I tend to agree with that and as barry notes, with narrow, low-volume tires, even testing may make a difference.

I mention Kevlar because I'm sold on them. I've only had one flat since switching and that seemed to be caused by a bad tube, not a puncture. Adding a little air every week is not a big deal but a flat along the commute is a major nuisance. Kevlar tires seem to be just amazing for puncture prevention. I've been forced, on more than one occasion, to ride over glass. Formerly, that would be a ride-ending situation but with the Kevlar, I just keep going.

For dbu's information, I first got a set at Erik's (Twin Cities bike shop chain) when they were promoting them and they were less than a comparable regular tire. I bought them for price but would not switch back at any price. Kinda' like Toyotas.

I presume you mean from the bike tires... 10 lbs from my *spare* tire... I wish.

Reply to
dh

Erik's a good place. I've been to the one in Richfield.

Reply to
dbu`

LOL...yes that is what I meant...

I'm with you on Kevlar tires.

No problems since I switched.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Bike tires lose pressure just from the action of attaching and removing the gauge - too small a volume. Especially the "Racing" or "Road bike" super skinny tires.

That one calls for the Thumb Test before each ride - push on the tire and check the pressure that way. Calibrate your thumb, and you'll feel it when it's too low to ride.

I prefer my bike tires to have big numbers, like 27"x2-3/8" thank you. A bit expensive since you have to go to a Schwinn dealer, but even without suspension the old balloon tires ride SO much better...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

LOL....your age is showing, Bruce!

....and I agree.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

They don't quite make em like they used to.. I had one that had a psuedo gas tank with headlights, "rocket exhaust" rear end which doubled to carry junk, and was generally the bike equal to a 59 cadillac.. :/ Course, in my later school years, those became pretty lame, and most went for the "banana bikes" which were basically copying choppers. All had the usual "banana" seats, and high handlebars. Even Schwinn had their version which usually cost quite a bit more than the other brands like Huffy, etc.. Then, those died out and it was the sporty ten speeds with the skinny tires that would blow out if you hit a curb hard. :( But.. They were the fastest.. I had one that was so light you could lift it with your pinky finger. Much less effort needed to propel, and you got to speed much quicker. But for just putting around, it's hard to beat one of those old 50's 60's "cadillac" bikes.. :) Now, it seems the 10 speeds have become lame, and most go for the small "mountain" bikes.. Which are basically like the "banana" bikes we all used in the later

60's. I guess the mountain bikes are like banana bikes on steroids.. :/ MK
Reply to
nm5k

LOL...

My mountain bike is a 21 speed, but it is pretty large.

It is the 'old' style that does not have shocks on either the front or back.

I use it to ride mostly on road, so I don't need anything fancy.

It is very comfortable and I can count on it getting me there and back.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I'm not THAT old, I've just owned a "Classic Collectable" Schwinn Corvette bicycle (3-speed Sturmey Archer hub) since the days it was just an "old POS". If it ain't broke, keep it. Same with the Corvair.

Now if my older brother had kept all /his/ toys, we'd be all set - A clean unrestored but complete 55-56-57 Chevy Sedan is $30K, and he had a half dozen, with another dozen that have also appreciated nicely. He did the math: if he had stuck all the halfway decent cars in a barn instead of selling them for cheap, he'd have $1M plus in the bank.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Older brothers aren't always smarter....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Exactly why I asked. My bike needs air added every week and is often

15 to 20 lbs low. My cars, on the other hand, almost never need air added during the season. I've found that I need to add a few pounds of air in the fall and let a few pounds out in the spring. That's the only adjustment I need to make, I don't let minimum-wage oil change folks mess around with my tires.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP