Tire pressure light won't stay off

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ agreed! some folks think that "maintaining" a vehicle means that you have to get some gas when the needle sticks on "E". Only those people who regularly think about oil, coolant, battery condition, etc. are helped by tire pressure warnings, because the others will say "gee, the car drives okay"............and don't even know where the oil dipstick is, or how to read it. Or if they do, they'll look at it and say "I guess that BLACK stuff is the oil!"

Reply to
mack

The rule require tire pressure monitors (TPM) is part of the TREAD act. There were some lawsuits involved where public interest groups sued NHTSA because the NHTSA's requirements were too lax. I suspect that part of the impetus for the law was that underinflated tires were the cause of the Explorer crashes.

Reply to
Ray O

The problem was in the construction of the tires made in a particular Firestone plant, nothing else. It is old news so you may have missed it. Even Firestone gave up on trying to blame PSI for the failure of the Firestone tires used primarily on Explorers.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I remember that Firestone was trying to blame PSI for the tire failures, and now that you mention it, I do recall hearing that the problem was the construction of the tires made in one particular plant. IMO, Ford and the Explorer were unfortutnate victims of irresponsible and uninformed reporting by the mass media, like GM pickups and the Audi 1000.

Reply to
Ray O

In the case of the GM pickups and the Audi it was out right deception ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yup, and they did not have the integrity to give their own deception and lies the same coverage they gave the supposed "defects."

Reply to
Ray O

Sound much like the Dims and their constant deceptive efforts, over the past four years, to separate the war with the radical Islamic terrorist in Iraq from the world wide war with the radical Islamic terrorist for political gain. ;).

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter