Tire warranty questions

I bought 4 Goodyear Regatta2 tires at Walmart with 75K miles warranty. I have put 38K miles on my car since then. Now one of tires is wearing faster than others, and all of them seem wearing too fast. My car just passed State inspection marginally and I was told that my car definitely needs new tires for next year's inspection. Auto dept at Walmart claims that thread wearness warranty are covered by Goodyear only. Before I contact Goodyear, I like to ask how big a chance that Goodyear will honor their warranty. I heard that you may have difficulty to get tire warranty since you need to provide all documents that indicates that you have alignment, tire balance/rotations done on schedule, etc. Even I just like to have tires prorated, Walmart auto dept still have problem to do so, any advice? Thx.

Reply to
wenmang

Additional info: My tires measured at 4/32. What does 4/32 mean? What is minimum thread depth is required by State inspection or considered normal?

Reply to
wenmang

The tread depth of most passenger car tires when are 10/32 of an inch or

11/32."

The rule of thumb is that the dread depth on at least 2 adjoining grooves has to be at least 2/32"' deep, and that is where most state inspections draw the line as well.

If the tread depth is shallower, it cannot channel water out and the tire loses its ability to dissipate heat.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes, you need documentation on having an alignment done when the tires were installed, as well as routine tire rotation. If the tires are worn evenly across without signs of mis-alignment or over or under inflation, then IMO, the tires should be covered. I don't know Goodyear's policy.

Tread that is worn more on the outside treads than in the middle or vice versa is a sign of under or over inflation. Tread is worn more on the inner or outer edge, or shows cupping, feathering, or scalloping are indications of mis-alignment. Tire companies usually will not cover problems cause by improper inflation or mis-alignment.

Reply to
Ray O
4/32nds, even on the good tires, is borderline unsafe. It's time for new tires, 75K warranty or not. My guess is that Walmart will give you some pro-rata allowance toward new Goodyears or perhaps even another brand.

38K isn't bad really. Regardless of what you work out, you should do this soon. I would not let my wife or daughter (the other driver's in my house) drive on 4/32nds.

Reply to
D.D. Pallmer

In Virginia, if your wear bars, across the tread, are hitting the pavement, you won't pass inspection. In fact, I think if they're within a certain depth from hitting the pavement, you also fail... Todays tires only have around 1/4" of good tread...

Reply to
SilverStude

interesting. 38K is not bad for 75K warranty tires? I have driven the car less than 2 years and I bought tires at about $75 each, for over $300/4 tires last only 2 years( 4/32nds, even on the good tires, is borderline unsafe. It's time for new

Reply to
wenmang

Why would one be worried about bad tires passing an inspection? One should be more worried about ones life. Buy new tires, they cost less than a coffin

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to