Tire wench won't work - alternatives?

I have a flat tire in my garage on my 2000 LandCruiser. I put the tire iron into the wench and turned counterclockwise for over 10 mins and the tire didn't budge. I sprayed the wench with WD40 but still nothing. Does anyone know another way to get the spare loose??

Reply to
Chris

Are you talking about the spare tire? If so, do you have a lock on the spare tire? It is possible that the tire is just stuck to the undercarriage. Take a look underneath, and you will see a rectangular piece of steel holding the wheel up against the undercarriage. When you unwind the spare tire carrier, the rectangular piece of metal should come down, lowering the tire with it. If the metal has slack, then the tire is stuck - You should be able to pry it off of the undercarriage after taking up some of the slack so the tire doesn't come crashing down and hitting you.

Basically, when you turn the spare tire carrier, you are unwinding a chain that holds the spare tire. Worst case, you may have to unbolt the spare tire carrier from the undercarriage.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Chris

Well, if you have a tight wench, you'd probably consider that a good thing... ;-)

But if you are talking about the little WINCH that holds the spare tire up, that's an entirely different matter. Did you try turning it clockwise, and see if some misguided person wound the cable all the way off and started cranking it back in in the wrong direction?

If that was it, inspect the cable carefully - If winding it backwards put a big kink in it the wire rope cable where it attaches to the winch spool, the cable can fail at that spot and you can lose your spare tire. You wouldn't want it to happen if it doesn't drop straight down, it could catch the front edge of the tire and flip the back end of the car up as it leaves. And I wouldn't want to be the person driving behind you on the freeway when it drops on the road...

And if turning the winch handle 'backwards' doesn't do anything, you may have to have a tire shop put the car up on a lift, get a socket and long extension to reach up through the wheel hub hole, and unbolt the winch from the crossbar (or the crossbar from the chassis) to get it all apart.

You need the lift because that tire is heavy, and they'll need two people under there to hold the tire up while a third person unbolts it. It could be done on a creeper with the car on the ground, but it wouldn't be a fun job at all.

Last Resort would be to attack the winch plate that the tire sits on and cut the cable off - but that will trash the winch for sure. With the 'take it apart' method above you have a decent shot at fixing it if you just find a rock jammed in the gears.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman