Top 10 Cars for 2008

At least, according to Consumer Reports.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Oh - top one of each of the various categories. Well, still... Toyota made out well.

My dream of a brand-new Prius being mysteriously left for me in the driveway has yet to materialize. Sigh...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

"Cathy F."

The next time I step on a cockroach, I'll send it to you. Should be a worthy substitute.

Natalie, running like hell

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Smart woman (the running like hell bit!).

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Sort of related (since a Lexus made the top luxury sedan)... someone at school drives a Lexus SUV. Don't know who; it's always parked in the other parking lot from the one I use. Every time I see that thing, I think: how the hell much did that thing *cost*?! And kinda wonder how a teacher can afford one - unless they have a spouse who makes oodles of $, or else live way beyond their means, maybe...

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Same here. (Sees your sigh and raises you a half hour long daydream about the 6 kilowatt sound system that would be possible thanks to the traction battery)

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

I know a person that works for the AEA here and currently drives an Acura sedan and trades vehicles every time one needs new tires. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

The teacher's lot at the local high school is filled with some pretty pricey rides - Lexus, BMW's, Acuras, and even a Jaguar XJ sedan, which is probably why so many students at the high school become education majors when the move on to college (including one of my sons).

Reply to
Ray O

Ooooh... :)

Not that I'd try to crank it all that loud all the time, but I can hear really low levels of clipping and distortion, and listening to an under-powered system can be torture. Headroom is your friend.

And I like "difficult material" for a car stereo, like Don Dorsey with the "256-foot ranks" (~4 Hz) in the digital pipe organ, Tower of Power, large chunks of the Telarc and Sheffield Labs catalogs where they milk the dynamic range for all it's worth...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

looks like Toyota done it again.

Reply to
EdV

There was a website a few days ago that encouraged people to teach instead of retiring. Maybe a former CEO wanted to teach =3D)

Reply to
EdV

looks like Toyota done it again.

Ed V

Ya.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

well, my wife and her sister both had honda's (i love Japanese model=20 names- my wife's was a Honda "that's"); they both had issues with their=20 power windows. Their brother works for a Toyota subsidiary in Nagoya. Toyota's have the best reputation within Japan (honda's not so much,=20 because of minor issues such as windows). So, better buy a Toyota! (keep my brotherinlaw working).

Reply to
catchme

well, my wife and her sister both had honda's (i love Japanese model names- my wife's was a Honda "that's"); they both had issues with their power windows. Their brother works for a Toyota subsidiary in Nagoya. Toyota's have the best reputation within Japan (honda's not so much, because of minor issues such as windows). So, better buy a Toyota! (keep my brotherinlaw working).

Catch Me

Well, of course that's my ultimate goal. :-P

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

But... how are they *affording* them?? Or are they older models, maybe? This Lexus SUV I'm seeing looks brand-new.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

There was a website a few days ago that encouraged people to teach instead of retiring. Maybe a former CEO wanted to teach =) ``````````````````` Okay, now that makes sense. ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I recall reading a while back that the local high school district pays the third highest teacher salaries in the state, and coincidentally, the students in the local high school district consistently are at or near the top of the state in various measurements of education quality, like ACT's, SAT,s and percentage of students getting post-secondary education. IMO, the quality of the education that my children received seems to be as good as the one I received at a private prep school, and I don't begrudge paying teachers what they are worth.

Reply to
Ray O

I suspect that a LOT of them are heavily financed. Also, there could be a wealthy spouse.

Reply to
sharx35

Geez - it is a Consumer Reports list........almost the kiss of death as far as I am concerned. Virtually nothing CR has recommended has ever worked out for my family. In his later years my Father kept buying CD best picks and they almost universally sucked. I sure hope it is not the kiss of death for the RAV4 my sister just picked up.....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"C. E. White" ...