towing with new Tundra

They say the new Tundra's a 1/2 ton truck, yet give some massive towing capacities? What's the real world report on home big an RV it will tow? Thanks LT

Reply to
LT

"LT" wrote

Suggest you pose this question on rec.outdoors.rv-travel. You will probably get a lot of cheap shot insults, but also some good advice on towing.

-- wingnut "of no ilk"

Reply to
Wingnut

When a truck is referred to as a half ton, it is the payload capacity, not the towing capacity. The tundra has a 10,000 lb. towing capacity, and the reviews I've seen have said that it tows well compared to other half ton pickups with gasoline engines. The "Detroit 3" offer diesels that are more suited for towing, as well as 3/4 ton and 1 ton versions of their trucks. If you frequently tow heave loads for long distances, a 3/4 or 1 ton truck may be more suitable, but if you occasionally tow trailers that weigh less than 10,000 pounds, then a 1/2 ton gasoline powered truck should be sufficient.

Reply to
Ray O

The new Tundra is still rated less than the current F150. If I wanted to tow

10,000 lbs I go straight for a F250 or F350.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White