Toyota 4Runner transmission problem

I have a 95 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V6 with 137k and an automatic transmission. Today the transmission got stuck in 2nd and wouldn't upshift any further. I was about an hour from home so I just kept it slow, about 25-30 mph for a mile or so and then the trans upshifted but would not stay in overdrive at highway speeds 65-70; it kind of "bounced" back and forth from drive and overdrive. It has fluid and hadn't shown any problems till today. Any advice is greetly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
harley.chappell

What color is the automatic transmission fluid (ATF)?

When is the last time the ATF was changed?

Has any work been done recently on the truck like tune up, stereo installation, etc?

Is there any difference if you move the gear selector into a specific range?

Reply to
Ray O

The ATF is redish brown. I can't say when it was last flushed, I have only have the truck for about a month. Recent work done on it is as followed;

Headgasket set, timing belt, front crankshaft seal, water pump, thermostat, sparkplugs, wires, distributer cap/rotor, new belts, and an oil cahnge.

If is move the gear selector between drive and 2nd there is no change when it is stuck. If I turn the vehicle off and back on it all starts over again. Is stuck in 2nd for a mile or two then shifts to third but slips in and out of overdrive.

Reply to
harley.chappell

I got it scanned but it wasn't putting out any codes. The guy at the transmission shop suggested that it may be the solenoids, and gave me a quote of $385 to replace all three solennoids. Any advice?

Reply to
Kristiane.Chappell

I think it is pretty unlikely that all three solenoids failed at the same time. I would recommend checking the solenoid function before replacing it, or if in doubt, swap solenoid position to see if the nature of the problem changes.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
petekbuys

The V6 4runners won't go into overdive unless the ECT (tramsmission control) computer is receiving a signal telling it that the engine has reached operating temperature. If your thermostat is OK, and the temperature gauge reads about midway, then try this: locate the engine coolant temperature sensor. It's on the top of the engine, drivers side, up near the firewall, it's the sensor with a 2 wire plug, next to the single wire (gauge) sender. After the engine has warmed up, shut off the engine, pull the connector off the sensor, and fit a 150 ohm (brown-green-brown) resistor, any rating, across the two connections.You can just stick the resistor leads into the connector. This will "trick" the ECU into thinking that the engine has reached operating temperature. You can tape up the resistor/ connector so it doesn't short out against anything, then restart the car. If the trans now shifts OK, then the problem is the coolant temperature sensor. You can actually drive the car like this without any problem, although it might be a llittle difficult to start when dead cold. The sensor is about $30 at NAPA. I started experiencing this problem when the outside temperature began dropping, a new sensor fixed the truck!

Reply to
petekbuys