Toyota Camry 1998 has the following diag codes...pls help....

Some diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) have 2-trip detection logic. That means that the electronic control module (ECM) has to see the same trouble on 2 consecutive "trips" before illuminating the malfunction indicator light (MIL), commonly referred to as the check engine light. There is a specific definition of a "trip," where certain parameters must be met, like coolant temperature, engine speed, road speed, distance traveled, etc.

A pending code means that the ECM has counted the fault on 1 trip and if it sees the fault on the next trip, it will illuminate the MIL and store a fault.

P0105 means that there is a problem with the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor circuit. That can be a problem with the MAP sensor itself or the related wiring. The MAP sensor is located on the outlet side of the air filter housing. If you look at the air filter housing, it is the only electronic device on the housing. If the air filter was recently checked or replaced, make sure that the wiring connector for the MAP sensor is snug. If the MAP sensor is snug, then you can try cleaning the MAP sensor. The MAP sensor is not supposed to be serviceable, but IMO, it doesn't hurt to try cleaning it since you would have to replace it anyway if it is bad. The MAP sensor has a heated wire inside, and as air flows past it, it cools the wire. As the wire cools, the voltage passing through it goes up, and the ECM can tell how much air is flowing past. If the wire becomes coated with dirt or debris, it acts as an insulator and the air flowing past does not cool the wire, trigging a DTC. Remove the bolts that hold the MAP sensor in place. You will see a tube that protrudes into the airstream coming out of the air filter housing, and the tube sometimes gets clogged with an oily residue or dirt. Gently spray some carburetor cleaner into the tube, gently shake it out, and after it dries, replace the MAP sensor. If that doesn't work, refer to the Camry repair manual for testing procedures..

P0401 means that insufficient EGR flow was detected. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve allows some exhaust gas to enter the combustion chamber to lower combustion temperatures and reduce NOX emissions. In high mileage cars, it is not uncommon for the EGR valve to become clogged with carbon deposits, reducing the flow of exhaust gas into the combustion chambers. If you remove the EGR valve, you may be able to dig out some of the carbon deposits with an awl or screwdriver and wash some of the stuff out with carburetor cleaner and prolong the EGR valve's life a little.

Here is a link to the factory service manuals for Camrys:

It will tell you the procedures for checking the MAP sensor and show where the EGR valve is.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi,

I have the following diag codes that I retrieved from autozone's charitable OBD II code reader. The Camry has about 90000 miles and runs fine except the check engine light shows with the following code:

P0105 - Trouble code P0401 - Pending code

I spoke to an autozone person that was educated with these codes and he told me that there must be a lot of carbon in the system. I looked up the codes and the P0105 is something related to the MAP sensor and the pressure in the intake manifold. The P0401 is the EGR system and is problably related to the EGR Valve. Those are my takes. Please help me with other possibilities and the probablity of some condition happening at this mileage. The engine runs extremely smoothly. I have tried to erase the codes and they have come back again. So, I take the codes are real. What are some of the things that I should be looking for? The MAP is a little piece of metal but costs like hell. I was told that it would cost me about $270 and the EGR Valve about $130.

What is the difference between a trouble code and a pending code. Any help with my situation would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

stony

Reply to
black

Ray, thanks! I have read your advice on other questions here before and I must say that you are God's gift to the Toyota usenet group! Thanks again, buddy! I will look up the procedure for checking the circuits out.

black

You're welcome, let us know what you find.

Reply to
Ray O

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Code P0105 refers to the MAP sensor not the MAF sensor. The MAP sensor measures Manifold Absolute Pressure and cannot be cleaned. Check for a leaking vacuum line to the MAP sensor. Its operation is not like that of a Mass Air Flow sensor which can be cleaned. After you check the wiring from the MAP sensor back to the computer and think your problem is in the MAP sensor itself you may want to buy a salvage yard MAP sensor as they cost about $400 new from the dealer.

I have found the voltage measurements in the after market as well as in the Toyota shop manuals to be confusing and wrong.

With Key on and engine off (not running) you should measure the following voltages:

  1. Verify 5V between between the outter two terminals (pins 3 and 1 (gnd) )
  2. Voltage 3.6v between pis 2 and 1
  3. Hand pump vacuum 8.5" mercury voltage between pins 2 and 1 should be 2.8v
Reply to
marvinshos