Toyota Camry '98 power window failure

Hi, I have a 1998 toyota camry and i have been experiencing problems with the driver side power window. The window will go down just fine with no problems but then when i push the switch to put it back up, it will go up about three inches and then stop. I will then have to wait about 20 minutes and then turn the car on again and the window will go up a few more inches. This goes on until i can get the window up all the way which takes a while. The problem seems to have gotten worse and worse because when i first got the car about 4 months ago, i was told the window had failed a few times but not nearly as much as it does now which is every time i try and put the window up. I dont know if it's an electrical problem or the window motor might be going bad but i do know its not the switch because i have already tried replacing that. I would like to avoid taking it to a mechanic because they gave me an estimate of about $250-$300. In conjunction with the window, my driver side speaker went out about 2 months ago, long before i was having chronic problems with the window. It was making a loud thumping sound and the sound was distorted so i dont know if that's a seperate problem or if it could be an electrical problem that would link them both together. If anyone has any ideas on what to do i'd really appreciate it. I miss driving around with all the windows down during the summer :( Please, if you have any ideas let me know, becuase I'd really appreciate it. Thank You.

Reply to
jmik45

The problem with the power window is most likely a binding window regulator or worn motor. In either case, you will have to remove the inner door trim disconnect the regulator from the motor, and see if the regulator moves freely. If it does, then the motor is suspect. You can either reconnect the master switch or apply 12 volts to the motor to see if it moves in both directions.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O, I am having the same exact problem with my 98 Sienna driver's side window. The problem first appeared during the winter and it was pretty intermittent. Now that it is summer, and hot, the problem is everytime the window is rolled down. This would lead me to suspect that the motor is getting hot and shutting off as others have suggested. I have not pulled off the door panel yet as I just found this forum and was looking for more info before attempting to fix the problem. I would be curious to know what you find out about your problem and how much $$$ are spent to correct the problem. I will also let you know what I have done or spent to correct the problem.

Craig

Reply to
heycraig

Sorry, that last post was meant for jmi...

Reply to
heycraig