Toyota Celica 94 have roller lifter/valve?

First of all i just want to say that I'm extreamly happy that I have found this website through yahoo.com. I've only scan through the forum for a few minute but I can already tell that there are so many good mechanic here. Anyway enough of that

My question for today is Does a stock Toyota Celica 1994 use roller lifters or roller rockerarm?

If it doesn't then I'm thinking about doing a valve job to my car but I was hoping that someone could give me some information on what kind of tools/special tools do i need to perform this job. Also do i need to make valve adjustment to my engine after I installed the roller valve? How do I make the adjustment?

thanks for taking your time to help me out.

Reply to
Somadis

No and no.

I cannot tell how much automotive experience you have from your post, so I will assume that you have not removed a head before. You will have to remove the head to do a valve job, so you will need a head gasket set that includes the head gasket and associated gaskets like valve cover gasket, intake manifold gasket, valve stem seals, etc. as well as new head bolts. The head bolts are known as plastic region bolts that must be torqued and stretched. For tools, you will need the usual assortment of sockets and ratchets, a scraper, torque wrench, a valve spring compression tool, a magnetic pickup tool, feeler gauges, and a micrometer or good vernier caliper. You will need to do a valve adjustment after you have re-installed the head. For this, you will need an assortment of shims. It helps to have an air ratchet and a die grinder with a Scotch Brite pad to clean up the gasket surfaces.

Grinding valves and cleaning up the valve seats is no longer a do-it-yourself job and so I recommend that you send them out to a machine shop.

Adjusting valve lash requires a feeler gauge and a valve spring compression tool. To adjust lash, you have to first use the feeler gauge to take a measurement, then use the spring compression tool to relieve tension on the shims, use the magnet to pick out the shims, then measure the shim thickness, then change shims to arrive at the correct thickness.

You will need a repair manual to get the proper torque and valve lash specs. If you have not removed a head before, I recommend having a knowledgeable person help you the first time.

Reply to
Ray O

thanks for your replied. It turn out that I dont have enough tools to perform the job.

One more question though. how much would it cost for me to get a valve job, replace rocker arm, and replace headgasket at the shop?

Reply to
Somadis via CarKB.com

For a decent job, inc parts - probably 5-600$ all in at a guess, depending on your preferred mechanic. However from my experience with these its rare they need doing until they're knocking on 200K miles.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

If you are replacing the standard rocker arms with roller ones, you are talking about well over $1,200 in the U.S.

Reply to
Ray O

Wasnt even aware this was available lol

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I do not think they are available, which is why they would be so expensive - they would have to be custom made.

Reply to
Ray O