Toyota Celica Handbrake

I have been trying to find rear handbrake shoes for my Toyota ST 202 1994 Import. It is drum handbrake and disc footbrake. My local supplier cant find them in his book and I am trying to avoid using the main agent . I have been looking at on line sites and for the ST 202 it does not show the shoes. Is it possible that most ST 202 have disc handbrake and mine being an import has a different set up? I can find shoes for several other Celica types.

Regards ken

Reply to
Ken

Most recent Toyotas (including your Celica) with rear disc brakes use the setup you are describing, with a small drum parking (hand) brake.

In theory, the shoes for the parking/hand brake would never have to be replaced because they wouldn't wear just to prevent the car from moving. Although the reality is that people often drive with the parking/hand brake engaged, I suspect that the volume of parts sales is not high enough to entice many aftermarket suppliers to offer them.

Reply to
Ray O

  1. These shoes have only about 2-3mm of material to begin with. Unless you have really been reefing on the hand brake, they shouldn't need replacing.
  2. They are a dealer only item and cost about a set! Make sure you REALLY need them before ordering! I went to buy a set since I was doing the brakes anyway, and the dealer talked me OUT of replacing them!
Reply to
hachiroku

I'm with you on the theory here. The pads to the hand brake should last the life of the car, in theory.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The hand brake/parking brake on the OP's car uses shoes, not pads.

Reply to
Ray O

I knew that. They should still last the life of the car, in theory.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
Ray O