Toyota corolla check engine light

scan result say " inproper coolant temp" or something to that effect.

Does this mean just as it says, the coolant needs replacement.

It is good for about -20

Reply to
Devils Advocate

For your car to work more efficiently, the coolant has to get to a specific temperature. If your thermostat is not letting the engine get warm enough, I suspect that is could cause this warning. And it means it is time for a coolant flush and new thermostat.

It would help to know what year, mileage, engine and the exact code (including any code numbers) that you have. In addition, what has the temperature gauge been reading compared to what it used to read?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I would help to know what model and model year Corolla, how many miles are on the odometer, recent service history, and actual diagnostic trouble code ("DTC"), i.e. P115, P116, etc.

The electronic control unit monitors engine coolant temperature through the coolant temperature sensor for the ECU, but IIRC, the trouble can also indicate a leak in the exhaust system.

Reply to
Ray O

If DTC P0125 - Insufficient coolant temp for closed loop operation - comes up, then the thing to check is the heated O2 sensor and exhaust leaks. IMO, the SAE description is misleading and confusing, one of the few times it is.

If P0115 or P0116 comes up, then check the coolant temp sensor, thermostat, and coolant.

Reply to
Ray O

A leaky exhaust will not make coolant temp too low so the description is misleading ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

I suspect that the catalytic converter doesn't get hot enough to work efficiently.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I don't think that coolant temp will affect catalytic converter temperature because the exhaust still comes from the combustion process.

Reply to
Ray O