Toyota Corolla transmission fluid change interval ??

Threaded View

I have an 2005 Corolla with Automatic.

Took it to Jiffy Lube, they wanted to change the tranny fluid.  My car
has 37000 miles on it.   The owners manual says 60K if towing, and never
if not using as a tow vehicle.   Checked with the dealer and they said
every 15,000!  and don't exceed 30K.

So what is the straight information.   15K sounds like they are trying
to make money off of me.  I have an explorer with 240,000 on it with the
original automatic in it.   I change the fluid every 50K and have had no
problems.

...Larry

Re: Toyota Corolla transmission fluid change interval ??

You should not have any problems if you follow the factory maintenance
schedule.  If you want to be on the safe side, change the automatic
transmission fluid (ATF) every 30,000 or 60,000 miles.  Your transmission
may require special ATF that Jiffy Lube does not carry so check for the
correct ATF in your owner's manual before letting Jiffy Lube have a go at
it.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Re: Toyota Corolla transmission fluid change interval ??

"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> says...

It does use Toyota T-IV or Valvoline type 33-03 so I will have the
dealer do it.

...Larry

Re: Toyota Corolla transmission fluid change interval ??

The straight information is that Jiffy Lube and similar
quick-oil-change places are the worst possible place you could take
your car. They have no idea what they are doing.

Re: Toyota Corolla transmission fluid change interval ??

zwsdotcom@gmail.com says...

Ain't that the truth.........The wife took my 2002 Highlander in for an
oil change one time without me knowing, week later the check engine
light came on........Did a little digging around and came to find out
that they broke the (not sure what it's called) protective plate where
the oil is poured in (by shoving a funnel in there) and the bits of
metal were laying inside. Came to find out after dropping the oil pan
that some of it passed through & shredded. But we had managed to piece
together the missing parts by digging around with a magnet, put it
together & a tiny portion of it was only missing.......Luckily all the
pieces did not fall through.

Re: Toyota Corolla transmission fluid change interval ??

There is a TSB warning dealers to avoid using the deflector shield under the
oil filler cap to support heavy oil fill devices like those 5 quart
containers when filling oil.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Re: Toyota Corolla transmission fluid change interval ??

"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> says...

Guess Jiffy Lube proved why there was a TSB......... ;0)

"Deflector Shield," thank you, couldn't think of the name.........

Re: Toyota Corolla transmission fluid change interval ??

Don't ever take your car to Jiffy Lube.

Re: Toyota Corolla transmission fluid change interval ??

  The independent lube service shops like Jiffy Lube have a vested
interest in pushing 3K oil changes and 15K tranny flushes - Money.

  Jiffy Lube has their crews outside waving signs when things are slow
"$19.95 Oil Change Special Right Now!" - but corporate policy is to
push the up-sell, and try to get at least $60.00 out of each ticket.

  And they screw up customer's cars on a regular basis, and they've
done nationwide stings finding out that they are selling services that
they do not perform...  Stay Away.

  The dealers will oversell you on service if they can, too - they
like money also.  But they have a valuable sales franchise to lose, so
they stop doing it fast if called on it.

  There's no hard and fast rule - a simple automatic transmission
fluid change is reasonable between 30K and 60K intervals, depending on
how and where you drive.  Avoid "transmission flushing" services, they
can cause more harm and the shop gets to charge a LOT more for them -
it's sold to you as beneficial, but sold to the shop as a "Profit
Center"...  Just change the fluid in the pan, that's enough to refresh
the additives.

  There are a few things that are NOT on the maintenance lists but
should be done periodically, and are not an oversell.  A notable one
is you should have them 'deep bleed' the brakes to change all the old
brake fluid every two years, or whenever you have brake work done.
But whatever you do, DON'T call it a "Brake System Flush" or they'll
raise the price for the same work...   ;-)

  Brake fluid absorbs moisture out of the air over time, which lowers
the boiling point and rusts out the inside of the brake lines.

  --<< Bruce >>--

Re: Toyota Corolla transmission fluid change interval ??

agreed. same goes with hydraulic clutch systems, too. even easier, since
its one bleeder screw and the reservoir is right there.

done every 2-3 years, and your brake seals will last twice as long.

Site Timeline