Toyota Corrola 1984 - Engine Overheating

I have checked all obvious things and the engin is till overheadting... ie oil, water etc?It overheats as soon as I start driving. Should I put water in the radiator, there is a little tube running to it from the water tank but there doesn't seem to be any water in it? is there anything else I can check, also I don't know anything about cars but really cannot afford to take it to a shop to get fixed, just had MOT done so it really should be playing up. I could do with any advice!

many thanks

Reply to
dekock

If the overflow tank is empty you may have a leak somewhere. Check the coolant level in the radiator - Cold - fill the recovery tank, monitor level, and look around all the hoses and radiator fins for leaks. If the level stays up, and the car continues to run hot, replace the thermostat.

Reply to
nospampls2002

Most everyone else says distilled water and you suggest regular water. I believe the dealer uses regular water also. What is the "official" type of water to use?

Reply to
badgolferman

Most parts of the country water for a municipal water system is fine. However if your water source has a high mineral content, use distilled water. Ask your wife, she will most likely know your type of water. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Most people use tap water; distilled water is much better to use. The original factory fill uses distilled water to dilute the coolant mix and is good for 3 years. Toyota assumes that most people will use tap water so subsequent coolant services are recommended every 2 years thereafter. I have not really studied the newer long life coolants so I don't know what the replacement interval for long life coolant is.

Reply to
Ray O