Toyota -Dead Battery?

Threaded View

I have a used 1999 Toyota Corolla and today for the first time, after 45
minutes parked, it did not turn on.  Can the battery die just like that
without warning or could it be another problem?  Also if the battery
died..does that mean that if I get a new one it will happen again? I will
appreciate any input!  Thanks!!!

Re: Toyota -Dead Battery?

Assuming no other obvious electrical problems and good battery terminal
connections, you may have left  some electric device turned on and that
drained the battery. More likely you have a bad cell that's shorting the
others. You can buy a simple tool for measuring the specific gravity of each
cell at any autoparts store. Drive for a good while or have the battery
fully charged. Then measure each cell. If there's a bad one, you should
detect it. If so, you'll need  a new battery of similar size both physical
and electrical (cold cranking amps--CCA).

Re: Toyota -Dead Battery?

  6 year old battery, yes they can just die like they were pole-axed,
with no prior warning.  If it developed an open cell, it'll be as flat
as a pancake, no dome light or anything.

  Then again, the car may have been cranking slower the last few
weeks, or the crank speed starts to slow down after the first few
seconds - but you didn't know to listen for the warning sounds.  (I
usually manage to catch them before getting stuck.)

  Did you get anything at all?  Dome light and horn, but no crank?

  If the alternator is charging properly, installing a new battery and
making sure you have clean battery terminals should cure it.

  Check it with an accurate digital voltmeter to confirm that the
alternator is getting 13.5 to 14 volts to the battery (13.8V nominal
at 70 F) with the engine running at fast idle (1500 - 2000 RPM), and
that it can keep it at that level with the normal accessories like the
lights and heat/AC on.  The alternator output dropping somewhat at
curb idle (600 - 800 RPM) is normal.

     --<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
Re: Toyota -Dead Battery?

Precisely this happened to our '99 Tercel last summer.

Was working just fine since we bought it the previous September, then one
day my wife went to a gas station and shut the car off. When she tried to
start it after gassing up, nothing. Nada. Zilch.

We could not even push the car out of the gas station bay because there was
not enough power to operate the shifter lockout solenoid.

One new Eveready from Wal-Mart fixed that.

--
TeGGeR®

Re: Toyota -Dead Battery?

Its a '99, and this is '05. That means the battery is 6 years old, give or
take a few months.

The battery shop will test it for free, but I don't think that I'd bother.
I'd just get a new battery and get on with life.

Re: Toyota -Dead Battery?

Although this may not be the problem, I agree with you that after
6 years that battery doesn't owe you a thing...good advice...

--Gord
(use gordon in email)

Re: Toyota -Dead Battery?

Long ago, batteries would give warning.  They'd crank slowly in cold
weather.  Modern batteries just die.  I replace mine after 5 years as
a maintenance item, to avoid the breakdown.

It could be another problem, like a bad alternator or dirty cables.
But it's probably cheaper to replace the battery than pay a diagnostic
fee.  At 6 years, it's time anyway.

--
Ken Goldman   snipped-for-privacy@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

Re: Thanks..Toyota -Dead Battery?

Thank you all for your input!  I neglected to say that even though the
toyota is a 99, I have only had it for a year so I don't know how old the
battery was, but anyway I did follow the majority and brought a new
battery. NO problem so far.

Re: Thanks..Toyota -Dead Battery?

  Car Batteries are perishable, just like a gallon of milk.  No matter
how nicely you treat it the battery has a limited shelf life, and when
it's time is up it will die.  Sometimes you get a warning from some
slow cranking, but not always.

  And any abuse (like the deep discharge from leaving the lights on
overnight a time or two) shortens it's life more than normal.

  The only thing a longer warranty term battery gets you is it's
designed a bit better to last at least past the warranty term.  A
"5-year" battery only has to go 5 years and two days to be designed
perfectly ;-) , but they'll usually go 6 to 24 months past the end
date before they pack it in.

  Now have someone check that the charging voltage is correct in the
next few days, to confirm the alternator is charging the battery
properly.  Otherwise you can ruin the new battery by running it down
to dead, too.

      --<< Bruce >>--

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700

Site Timeline