Toyota dealer pushing Nitrogen in tires

The major reason for using nitrogen is it’s inert and does not facilitate the internal break down of tire compounds as oxygen does. With the tire pressurized, any gas is forced into the tire material. As such, an inert gas is better. This is one reason lowering the tire pressure is recommended when storing mounted tires. However, most times the tire tread will wear out before problems occur do to the pressured oxygen inside the tire. Nitrogen is better the air, but for car tires which wear out over a period of a few years, not a necessity.

Reply to
toyomoho

I go through 4 boots every 12 months, clearly wouldnt benefit me lol.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

It seems to me that if it was such a benefit, that they would have thought of it long before now. . . . We've been using POA (Plain Old Air) in tires for 100 years and better now.

I wonder if I inflate my tires with helium if they make high pitched noises when they hit bumps?

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Sounds like the DNC.

Reply to
sharx35

Maybe the road noise will be a couple of octaves higher!

Reply to
Ray O

I still think the whole thing is a ruse by the other Toyota dealer to get people to pay more for something.

You'll have to pardon my in and out nature of posting. I'm working on a receipe for spaghetti for one.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

Since you live so close to me, you can always stop by my house and use my compressor! It's only air, but I won't charge you for it!

Reply to
Ray O

I've got air. I now have a bicycle that I'm relearning how to ride. At $3.09 a gallon, even the Corolla is getting expensive with $40 to fill the tank. I can remember when I could run a whole week to Kankakee and back on $40. . .

Gawd, I'm an OOF.

Charles of Schaumburg

Charles of Schaumburg.

Reply to
n5hsr

I wish I could fill our cars for $40!

Reply to
Ray O

Not necessarily to get people to pay for it as a line item, but to pay a bit more for the tires and other items they are selling because they're providing this "valuable service" for "no extra charge".

TANSTAAFL - somehow, you're paying for it.

The effects of using pure nitrogen fill for tires are small, but they are real. Problem is, unless you can get the gas cheap enough, the hassles outweigh the benefits. If you have to buy it from the welding supply in high-pressure cylinders, and buy a regulator, and tote the empty cylinders in for refills...

You need a recipe for spaghetti? You pick a good all-Semolina pasta, boil a pot of water with a healthy dash of salt, drop in the pasta, give it 12 to 15 minutes stirring every few minutes till it's Al Dente, drain, rinse, and serve.

Now the spaghetti SAUCE, that deserves a bit more attention...

Gee, I've got a two-stage "7.5 HP" (5 real) 80-gallon compressor at home - if someone will come up with a cheap and simple Nitrogen Generator, I can do it at home. It's just a molecular sieve filter that has a timed regeneration backflush cycle to purge the captured Oxygen and trace gases, but they want several grand for the smallest commercial systems.

Gas production speed doesn't matter if you only plan to fill one or two car tires at a session, or check and top-off two or three cars in a day - that's what the receiver tank after the Nitrogen Generator is for, to allow the generator time to catch up.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

My compressor is only a 5 HP 30 gallon one, more than enough to fill tires or run an air ratchet or impact gun but it does cycle on quite a bit when I use a die grinder, cutoff tool, or sand blaster. It is not oil-less so I have to add oil occasionally, and draining the tank is kind of a messy job because the condensate spews all over the place when I open the petcock. A drier is starting to look very attractive ;-)

The biggest drawback I see with nitrogen-filled tires is the necessity to go back to where you had them filled whenever you want to top off the tires. Even if I didn't have a compressor, I could get air at the gas station a couple of blocks away. If nitrogen generators come down under $100 in price for a consumer version, I might start thinking about getting one, otherwise, I guess I'll stick with air.

Reply to
Ray O