Toyota doesn't believe in door side mouldings anymore?

Reply to
Dana

LOL...

That does happen....just keep up the fight.

Your doctor will love you...

...and your car will look better

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I believe AutoZone has them for about $1.20 a foot or something.

Get some 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive while you're at it, and line them up properly, or you're going to need a new paint job besides. ;)

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

It ain't an '88 Supra (near junker) or a '92 Grand Voyager (Definite junker!), is it?

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

Ive yet to see a plastic door moulding that was correctly height-aligned for every other doo on every other car. And consequently Ive yet to see a car with plastic protectors that doesnt have dents all over the other parts of the door. The only thing that the plastic trim protects is the end of your own door when you open it against a wall or someone elses car by accident.

Interestingly the early 90s european celicas had door trims but the JDM didnt. Mine has but also has a dent right through it which looks worse than just the door damage as the plastic is split.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Thats bollocks. I'm afraid youre thinking in black and white and the world is grey. The side mouldings on my doors are hard enough to easily dent a nice thick BMW panel (I know from expensive experience) - they do nothing but protect the outer end of your own door.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Thats so true. You can park in an empty car park at the far side away from the store and some retard will park within 18 inches of your door and open it with a crack, even with you in the car. Is there some sort of herding instinct in stupid, careless people? Someones parked there - i must be with them.....

I've taken to parking diagonally across two bays. I often get comments left under the wiper saying "your parking is crap" but i dont get dented doors. Its funny catching people writing the notes and saying "no, my parking is fine, its other peoples that cause the big dents in my doors which is why i park like this". They dont have much to say after that.

Coyoteboy

I just got a 2007 Corolla in September, and it came with matching color door side moldings. After the first car wash, my wife found a paint scuff on the passenger side door from another car already.

You can be as careful as possible, and park at the outer limits of parking lots, but some careless idiot will still find a way to wreck your day.

Years back, just a couple of weeks after I had just purchased my 82 Tercel, I caught a family getting out of their car at a McDonalds and one of their kids winged open her door, slamming it into my new car. The father, who couldn't be bothered to find a spot big enough for his car in the first place, tried to brush it off, but I pressed the issue and got him to pay for the damage. That's the grim reality of our world today, a lot of people just don't give a **** about other people's stuff, especially if they don't get caught causing the damage. If the same were to happen today, chances are I wouldn't even risk talking to the guy, in fear that he would be tempted to do further damage, to me personally. I'd just take his plate number down and file a claim.

Reply to
homepc

I bet the side molding on my 1988 Supra has prevented about +90% of the door dings it would have on it now without the side molding. Not to mention things like runaway shopping carts.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Has anybody noticed that the new Toyota models no longer have door side mouldings to protect against door dings? Look at Camry, Avalon, Rav4, FJ Cruiser. Even with side mouldings cars take a beating from careless inconsiderate people in parking lots. Without them I can only imagine. =A0=A0What is Toyota thinking??? Is this a cost cutting move or is it a case of "style over function" trying to make the car looks as nice as possible in the showroom without caring what happens to it once its sold. Either way, it's a dumb move. I hope this trend doesn't catch on with other carmakers.

Doesn't protect anything when the odd Boston newspaper box takes a header in a blizzard...into your passenger side.

Side molding used to matter when others used to care how they parked and opened their door, and the result on their car.

Doesn't matter anymore, anyone can buy a s*&t car, what insurance?. Just blam the door open...car style is no longer relevant in the day-to-day driving world.

My fantasy is to have a bazooka strapped on to the roof of my Corolla, for her protection.

Alas, reality....my lovely 03 Corolla is surviving, no side mouldings, no bazooka.

Why fret about the careless, inconsiderates? They are everywhere, and they get away with it. If you know who they are, do something. Don't blame the car-maker, blame the inconsiderates' parents, I dunno. =

Reply to
mmward

You cant really say that because it doesnt have dings it must be the protectors - thats poor science. Ive yet to see a shopping trolley that was on level with my door protectors.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Mouldings aren't everything:

My 1993 Corolla has skinny partially-recessed side mouldings, and it still got a ding. Although I tried to pop it back out, it still shows. It seems to come and go with the temperature.

The mouldings seem to be real dirt-collectors too. (Perhaps Donald Rumsfeld will hide there when the war crimes prosecutors come looking for him.)

- Jack

Reply to
Ralph

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a new Yaris and guess what? You can have side mouldings for the doors, but here in the UK they are an extra!

I don't know how much the side mouldings alone are, but a "Protection Pack" which also includes mud flaps, bumper corner mouldings, scuff plates, mats and a rear bumper protection plate costs £295.

Derek.

Reply to
Derek

Ah, well, the mats alone will be GBP 290 of that.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson