Toyota driveaxle

I just replaced the driveaxle on the left side of a 1994 Corolla. Since replacing it, the car seems to have developed a noisy front end. It sounds like tire/road noise, but after rotating tires there is no change in noise. When ordering the new axle I was not given the choice between a "Saginaw" axle or a Toyota axle. I found in my Haynes manual that it could make a difference. My question is - could this be causing the noise or is there some other cause? Fluid level is OK. Thanks

Reply to
hayhay

Have you checked your differential fluid level?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Where did you order the axle from? If you ordered from a Toyota dealer and they asked for your VIN, they would probably know which axle to order. My guess is that the Saginaw axle was for Corollas assembled in North America and the Toyota axle was for those assembled in Japan.

Was the CV joint in the new axle properly greased? Did you check transmission and differential fluid level? Have you checked wheel bearings?

Reply to
Ray O

OP Pulled the shafts, dropped the oil and forgot to replace lol. OK so no-ones that stupid. I dont think.

Coyoteboy

How did the new shaft install? Without a hitch or requiring a little effort? I have received replacement axles that looked exactly the same, but the length was slightly different. Just enough to cause a problem if installed.

You can always back track the part number and see what type of axle you received. There is usually a label on the axle shaft with the number.

You can try the old turn the steering wheel one way then the other when driving. This will load the bearing slightly on one side. See if the noise gets louder.

Reply to
toyomoho

I didn't think so either, until I started looking at problem cars!

BTW, just occurred to me to ask the OP if the replacement axle is at the proper angle.

Reply to
Ray O