Toyota expands -- and tends to growing pains

Toyota expands -- and tends to growing pains

Lindsay Chappell | Automotive News / April 23, 2007 - 1:00 am

TUPELO, Miss. -- Toyota's frenetic growth in North America has a dark side that worries senior executives. The company is wearing out its engineers and manufacturing managers, causing an alarming number of them to quit.

Now Toyota -- which last week broke ground on one plant and cut the ribbon at another -- plans to do something about it. The company says it will decentralize its manufacturing and engineering command and expand its project management staff.

The restructuring is a sign of growing pains as Toyota adds plants in North America at a pace of about one a year. Toyota's Kentucky-based corps of project managers, engineers and supplier support staffers are being run ragged. Midlevel managers crisscross the continent on far-flung assignments - from Ontario to Mexico - and it's taking a toll on the employees and their families, according to an internal company document.

The solution: Toyota will set up regional centers on the West Coast and in Texas by 2010. Personnel in the satellite offices will get more authority to tend to nearby projects.

"It will keep engineers from having to travel so much," says Gary Convis, executive vice president of the North American manufacturing headquarters in Erlanger, Ky. "It will enable them to stay close to home so that we're not putting so much strain on their families."

Losing people

Over the past decade, Toyota has centralized its North American manufacturing headquarters in Erlanger, just outside Cincinnati. But according to the company document obtained by Automotive News, the pace of work at Toyota is proving too much for too many.

"We continue to experience high turnover" reads a PowerPoint presentation given in 2006 by Seiichi

Sudo, COO at Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America Inc. in Erlanger.

According to the document, Toyota lost 5 percent of its "experienced members" in 2006 after losing 10 percent in 2005. It is not clear from the document how many employees those percentages represented. Toyota won't comment on the document.

About 1,400 employees are assigned to Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America, including clerical staff.

The reasons for the turnover, according to Sudo's presentation: excessive overtime and travel, an imbalance between work and personal life, insufficient authority for managers operating in the field and poor communication within the organization.

Sudo's presentation also said managers suffered from "lack of self development opportunities" and an "unclear future vision."

Toyota will set up a satellite office in Fremont, Calif., to help manage vehicle projects and supplier issues out west. The California office will oversee Toyota's plants in Fremont, Baja Mexico, the Los Angeles area and British Columbia. A third regional center will be established at Toyota's new Tundra plant in San Antonio.

The satellites will report to Erlanger, but personnel stationed in Kentucky will focus on projects in the Midwest, South and the Great Lakes region.

Each center will have project engineers who work with suppliers and Toyota's U.S. vehicle development teams.

More factories

Last week, Toyota officials gathered in Tupelo, Miss., to break ground on a $1.3 billion factory that will produce 150,000 Highlander SUVs a year. Production will start in 2010. And on Friday, April 20, the officials gathered a second time in Lafayette, Ind., to cut the ribbon on an assembly operation that will build 100,000 Camrys a year. The Camrys will be produced at Subaru of Indiana's plant.

The Lafayette plant and a new factory in Woodstock, Ontario, will bring to eight the number of Toyota assembly operations in North America.

Toyota is expected to announce another project soon - production of an all-new crossover at its plant in Georgetown, Ky. The company also is ramping up its Tundra pickup plant in San Antonio and in 2008 will launch RAV4 production at Woodstock.

Convis, who will retire in June, will have responsibility for the satellite office program, serving in a consulting role. He will move his office from Erlanger to Fremont. The company operates New United Motor Manufacturing Inc., a 50-50 joint venture with General Motors, in Fremont.

Reply to
C. E. White

I didn't even have to look to know who posted this.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, Ker-plunk! The ripples radiate in a ring from where the lure hits the water!

Be very, very, quiet...

Reply to
B A R R Y

It is just an article related to Toyotas I thought was interesting.

Did you even bother to read it? Mostly positive stuff.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Toyota has been experiencing growing pains. They had some quality issues in the last few years. They also have had some issues with getting Americans to buy into their company culture (like having any assembly line worker having the power to stop the line to fix quality issues).

That they're having issues with figuring out how to manage their new engineering staff in a different country and culture when the country is so much bigger (land-wise) than Japan in no big surprise. The only thing that is a bit of a surprise is that they don't use teleconferencing more. There is nothing like sitting in the next office or cube, and being able to point to a computer screen or paper diagram and talk about it. So some travel is helpful. But, teleconferencing is very effective, especially if you want to tuck your kids in at night. I used to work as a software engineer. Most of the trips I made out to the home office where unnecessary. We could have done it over teleconferencing without any problem. Oh well. My brother lived about 2 hours away from the home office, so I got a free trip out to see him and his kids.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yeah, but at least they have been busting their asses to rectify those quality issues, which is A LOT more than one can say for the big 3.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Why would you say that? All the domestic manufacturers have shown improved quality in recent years. Even CR has noted this. In the JD Powers Rankings, Toyota is still doing well, but the difference in quality has been in the noise range for years. In the 2006 JDP Initial Quality Study, Toyotas averaged 1.06 problems, the industry average was 1.27. I doubt 0.21 problems was statistically significant. In the

2006 Vehicle Dependability Study (a study of three year old models), Toyota finished behind Mercury, Buick and Cadillac. The average three year old Toyota had 1.79 problems. The industry average was 2.29 problems. For people that trust CR, Camrys were claimed to less reliable than Ford Fusions.

Toyota builds reliable cars, but the question is, how much extra are you willing to pay to avoid 0.21 or even 0.5 problems?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

It is more likely their engineers are leaving because of their poor pay scale. Engineers and scientist in the US are in great demand. A good engineer or scientist can name their price and Toyota is not know for paying their US workers very well. Toyota is have problems filling all of the positions their new assembly plants, like the one in Texas, as well.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That is probably why Toyota was number in recalls in 2006. Every manufacturer makes some that are not up to their standards on occasion. That is why they all offer a warranty, even Rolls Royce.

When one is selling thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of anything, fewer of the bad once are noticed, but when you sell in the millions like the domestics more of the bad ones get noticed

As to stopping the line, workers on domestics assembly lines can do the same, and have been able tot do so you at least 20 years, that I know of.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

As are friend Jeff would ask... Your source for your opinion is......... ?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I have never heard of an instance where an American assemnbly line worker was afraid to stop the assembly line at one of Toyota's North American plants.

Most of the engineers are hired locally so they are not workingg in a different country.

The only thing that

Toyota has had satellite teleconferencing equipment at most of its facilities since the late 1980's. I thought it would be a great way to reduce the amount of travel I had to do, but after using it 2 or 3 times, I realized that it was a poor substitute for instilling team spirit when sitting and socializing in the same room. From a technical point of view, technical people prefer to lay their hands on an item rather than look at a video picture.

Reply to
Ray O

If one looks at CR reports as the percentage that it actually is, rather than as a list, you will discover that the number of defects in vehicles is at the lower end of the 2% to 3% average for all manufacturing. Chances of getting one of the 98% are far greater than one of the 2% that may have problems, one might suspect

The average for all vehicles in not 2.29 but .0229%, just over 2%. The difference is actually not 0.21 or 0.5 problems, but .021% and .005%. Hardly worth spending 20% to 30% more to drive home a Toyota of a similar size and equipped domestic. But hey who ever said Toyota buyers were very astute shoppers?

If you are the average new car buyer in the US you will replace it with another new vehicle in three to four years, with 30K to 45K on the clock. ANY new vehicle one buys today will easily go twice that mileage before needing any repairs. Why pay 20% to 30% more to drive any one home over any other?

Most of the guy in this NG are used car buyers. They will tell you they bought a Toyota because the five year old domestic, they bought used ten years ago, broke down but the five year old Toyota they bought two years ago runs fine.

Even it that were true, if you run a vehicle up to the more than average

140K, say 200K over seven years before you get another, and need to replace the power steering pump on the import at 120K at a cost of $200 and you needed to change the one on your domestic 110K, at a cost of $120, what have you saved?

They like to point to the "higher" resale value of a Toyota, yet forget the much higher drive home price when the purchased the Toyota. In three years a Toyota my be worth say $3,000 more, or $1,000 more used in seven years, than a domestic but at an initial drive home price of $5,000 MORE when new, or $3,000 MORE to buy used, which has the better resale value? ;)

The truth of the mater the record kept in our fleet service business, proved Japanese brands cost more to acquire, insure, maintain, repair and replace than those from domestics. On that basis Ford vehicles were by far the most costs effective. That is one reason few corporate fleets, who generally keep the vehicles in service for five years or 300K WOF because of federal deprecation tax laws, buy few Japanese cars and the reason Ford sells over

75% of the vehicles purchase by corporate fleets. If you look at the imports fleets do buy, with the exception of luxury vehicles, they are Korean cars. Few corporate fleets imported trucks.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yeah, but if you live in CA, it is hard to commute to work with others at different Toyota facilities in different parts of the US.

Right. And you have two copies of the item, one at each location. Or a virtual item that you can manipulate it in a computer. It doesn't eliminate the need to interact in person, but it does decrease it, at least according to my experience.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The link requyired registering for the NY Times site, which I did not feel like doing. If the article cites instances where workers were not willing to stop the assemblyline, I'll take your word for it.

Just because I have never heard of an instance doesn't mean they they don't exist ;-)

There are several different types of engineers. The ones who work with the manufacturing and assembly operations work out of Toyota Motor Manufacturing North America's Erlanger, KY headquarters just out side of Cincinnatti.

Product engineers who work on service issues work out of Toyota Motor Sales' headquarters in Torrance, CA just south of LAX.

And yes, no matter where they are stationed, it does get to be a drag being on the road all the time, which is one of the reasons I am no longer there. As a district service manager and district manager, I would be in the office on Mondays and on the road Tuesday through Friday, or 4 out of 5 weekdays on the road. In my last position, it was more like 1 week at a dealership and

1 week in the office so it wasn't so bad. My next move would have been to Torrance, where I probably would have ended up with a 90 minute commute, no thanks.

From the manufacturing and assembly side, in many cases, only one 1 prototype of a part or component exists, and the virtual part thing is usually the step before prototyping. Toyota is very into processes, so they would want their engineer to see the process at the facility where the part is being made.

From a product engineers side, they are usually looking at customers' vehicles that are brought to a dealership for either a survey or for a problem that the regional people were not able to fix, so they have to go see the cars

Reply to
Ray O

I agree with you 100%. The only thing worse than a video conference is a telephone only confrence. I have to joint 4 or 5 video and telephone conference ever week. They just wear you down. I don't mind them for a quick decision when people are just trying to iron out the last minor detials. However, when there are major issues they just suck.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

I'd love to read this, but they want me to pay....

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Me too....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I registered for free. I suspect you can do the same.

I would post the report, but that is against copyright law.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Is this the same article -

I am not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't even stay ata Holiday INn last night, but I think you can legally post portions ofthe article as long as you properly attribute it. Ed

Reply to
Ed White

No, it was a different article from a few weeks ago.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff