Toyota Highlander Hybrid (2006), battery power from 288 V to 12 V battery

I purchased an used 2006 Toyota Highland Hybrid (HH). I unintentionally discovered that when the standard 12 volt car like battery is completely discharged, this hybrid would not start. This is normal for most vehicles, but this is a hybrid; it has 288 volt batteries underneath the rear passenger seat. From what I can determine, there is no way to temporary charge up the 12 volt battery from the 288 volt batteries. I then wondered if there was anyway to "jump start" the 12 volt battery, using the hybrid battery. I realize the hybrid battery is at

288 V.. A transformer would be needed to step down the voltage to 12 volts. I ask as I live in a colder climate - Minnesota. Rarely, 12 volt car batteries "die" when the outside temperature is -20 F or lower. With a HH, I have the hybrid battery. This hybrid battery is also inside the car. It may be slightly warmer, if the HH is parked out in sun on these

-20 F days (even 0 F is warmer).

Is there any way to temporarily get DC power from the 288V hybrid battery to the 12V battery? Looking at a HH that will not start at -20 F below would be an unpleasant sight, at least for us fools who live in such climates. This especially would be distressing as there is plenty of electric power stored in the hybrid battery.

Getting AC current from the hybrid battery would also be nice. If the above would work, ex. getting 12 V DC from the hybrid battery, this could be converted into AC. End

Reply to
sebemis

Have you Read The Fine Manual? If your HH is anything like the Prius, there will be a point where you connect normal 12v jump- start cables. A Prius keeps this in the engine compartment.

The car should take care of that, once you supply it with power through the jump-start point. Again, RTFM.

This topic came up a few days ago. At the time, everyone agreed it probably could be done. Since then I have found a discussion on the PriusChat.com web site, about connecting a full sine-wave inverter rated up to 1250W to the 12v battery, letting the car's system recharge the battery when needed. (You have to leave the car turned on but can lock the driver's door with the mechanical key stored in the fob. Obviously the car must be left in a well ventilated place to disperse fumes when it runs the engine. And there must be a fat fuse to guard the battery.)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

They have an output relay for safety, you can't get any power out of the 288V Hybrid Pack until after the computer boots up and deems it safe. I seriously wouldn't try tapping into it unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

Without Toyota's express blessing in advance, I wouldn't even try tapping off the 288V feed after the safety contactor. The computer is liable to see that added voltage drop/current load, freak out that something's shorting out and shut down the car.

Besides, that's a Catch-22 - if you don't have 12V left you can't boot the computer, so you can't close the contactor to get power past it to run your 12V converter and jump the 12V battery... The safest solution would be to get a bigger and better battery for the 12V Accessory Battery, and then you don't have to worry about it. If you have room in the 12V battery tray - or you can /make/ room - I'd install either a deep-cycle wet battery $70-ish for Group 24, or $80-ish for Group 27. No car starting, so deep cycle is perfect.

Or a Starved Electrolyte 'Optima" battery (Yellow-top Deep-cycle). They will have enough excess capacity to get the car booted and running till you get way down in the -50F range. And if you run around in ultra cold climes regularly, battery heating blankets work on them, too.

Or keep one of those "Jump Pack" batteries inside the house where it's nice and warm - they don't care if they're starting up a Hybrid or Regular car, just clip it on and get 12V out.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The Toyota dealer did something like this for my mom's Prius, which operates in upstate NY where temperatures are cold, although not as cold as they become in North Dakota or the Yukon. I think they used a regular lead-acid 12V battery with lots of cold cranking amps.

But I'm puzzled by your phrase "No car starting" above -- doesn't the

12V accessory battery have to start the gasoline engine using the hybrid electric motor? I should think this takes more juice than the teensy starter motor in a traditional engine.

Also what's the point of using a deep cycle battery in this application? All that's needed is a battery with better cold-weather performance than NiMH, and lead-acid qualifies. You don't need a battery than can lose 80% of its capacity and still recharge without ill effects.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

They 12V battery's main job is to run the dome lights and burglar alarm, and to boot up the car computer. The computer closes the 288V contactor, and the Hybrid System inverter spins the engine to start with the 288V Alternator/Starter coupled to the engine.

The heavy lifting is all on the 288V side, the 12V battery doesn't have to supply any cranking current.

They should use Deep Cycle batteries more often - cars have 10ma to

50ma parasitic draws for the computer and radio memories and the clock, and if you have a burglar alarm add another 50 to 100 ma for the LED and the sensors. Don't drive the car for over a week, and that little draw starts to add up fast.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

First, cover yourself with the kind of padding Bomb Squads wear, then buy a fireproof suit, the kind the guys at the military airport Rescue teams wear, you know, those siver things.

Get a good welder's helmet with 3 inch thick glass in the eyepiece. Gloves are in order, Lineman's should suffice. Have your last Will and Testament brought up to date. Lastly, move the car away from anything...anything at all. Neighbor's fences, other cars, your garage. An abandoned airposrt runway would be good.

The rest of us will be watching the evening news...or the Darwin Awards page...

This system is NOT to be meesed with unless you are trained. The Toyota techs go to a two week training session before they even start working on these things. See the big orange connector? If you don't GOOD! DON'T go looking for it.

If you do, RUN AWAY!!!! Disconnecting this thing out of sequence can kill you and possibly start a fire that will engulf the car, and eventually anuthing around it, since you'll at the least be knocked on your ass out cold, and unable to respond.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Aha, no wonder the charge on the 288V battery pack can't fall below 3/8.

I see what you mean! A hybrid-synergy vehicle could be parked (e.g. airport long-term parking) a lot longer with a Deep Cycle battery than otherwise. The only downside is that Deep Cycle lead-acid batteries are heavier than regular lead-acid batteries, and much heavier than NiMH.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

Yes, but you need that density in the plates to get the deep-cycling ability without lead wool shedding on a conventional wet D-C battery.

And the heavier plate web sections on an Optima to deliver the massive Cold Cranking Amps.

Toyota was shaving every excess ounce of weight off the car they could find, to get every hundredth of a MPG they could across the entire fleet - make a million cars, and every hundredth counts. Ergo, they used that Garden Tractor sized U1 battery in the car.

Hell, my burglar alarm system has a bigger battery... ;-)

You, the end user, can easily sacrifice a few hundredths of a MPG on your one car carrying a slightly larger and heavier battery, to get a much more reliable battery system.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Your best bet is to get a drop in replacement lithium battery It's available on ebay find the store selling it and contact them for your size.

Reply to
tinujatinpatel