Toyota Maintenance: First 5,000 Miles or 6 Months

My Toyota maintenance book recommends replacing engine oil and oil filter and rotating tires at the first 5K mark. Actually, it's the lesser of 5k miles or 6 months.

It will be 6 months next month but I've only driven about $3k. I will get my oil and filter changed at a Dealer's service shop. But do you think I should rotate my tires after having driven about $3250 miles (my estimate by next month)?

Thanks for everyone's reply and consideration.

Reply to
Toyota Tommy

BTW, my Toyota is Yaris 2007.

Reply to
Toyota Tommy

"Toyota Tommy >" My Toyota maintenance book recommends replacing engine oil and oil

My mechanic has an interesting approach to this. He knows which customers are obsessive about checking tire pressure once a week and actually correcting it if necessary. For those customers, he's OK with rotation every

10K miles. For the rest, he nags them every 5K, and reminds them of how much tires cost.

Which group are you in?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you look at the cost of normal tires on most cars, rotating them is a big waste of money.

Reply to
Art

Wow! That must be the payments? (You don't want a '$' in front of the 3k.)

If you change your oil every six months and you put on about the same number of miles, then you will have around 6500 miles your tires when you rotate them.

Reply to
Jeff

"Toyota Tommy >" My Toyota maintenance book recommends replacing engine oil and oil

I drove 25,000 miles and my front tires were worn. My back tires were still like new. I rotated and drove another 25,000. Then I bought new. If I just replaced the front tires every 25,000 my back tires might last forever.

Reply to
Pat

Rotating is NEVER free.

You pay for it one way or another...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Please...don't start, OK? There are people who can't do it for one reason or another. That's just how it is. Let's stick with that idea for purposes of this discussion.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"Art" opin'd thus:

Rotating is free.

How can it be wasting money?

Reply to
Don Fearn

I rotate the tires at about 6k and change oil every three months (about 3k miles) - Engines are a bit more costly than tires! I have the dealer "lifetime" service plan (oil/filter 4x year or 3k miles) As we generally keep the cars 5 years, it does pay for its self. these are 3.5's and take 6 quarts of oil.

Reply to
ron

No, the sidewalls will give out somewhere between 50K and 60K regardless of treadwear.

Reply to
Michael Golden

You'd care if you drove 2 miles per trip, and 500 miles/year.

Never change your oil under those conditions? Bad, bad idea.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

That's right, that's a severe condition. Too make myself clear, many times my 5k oil change would last me 7-8 months. I havent kept track of my old oil changes but for my 07 4cyl Camry

0-5k miles 7 months 5k-10k - 5 months 10k-15k - 4 m> In article ,
Reply to
EdV

As usual, it depends on the driving conditions. I usually get the oil changed once a year on my wife's car. Last time it was at 4500 miles. She does not drive it often,but each time it is for a minimum of 10 miles, usually more like 20 miles. It is 5 miles from our house to the nearest store. Good paved roads and no dirt roads.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery