TOYOTA MUFFLER FREE REPLACEMENT LEGAL OBLIGATION?

exhaust has clamps, you do not have a genuine Toyota exhaust.

You guys are sharp! Yes this is a single unit exhaust from the catalytic converter. I should not have used the term "clamp", what I was refering to was the bracket in the middle with rubber mounts. The trick is to use stainless steel bolts when bolting the replacement to the catalytic converter. Next time you need to service the exhaust they come off easy. No rust.

Reply to
lookhot

try $50 Canadian plux 15% taxes at a Toyota Dealership. (plus labour)

Reply to
lookhot

The rubber exhaust hangers will be included in the lifetime warranty if you paid for them when you had the previous exhaust replacement.

Toyota's lifetime exhaust warranty is pretty straightforward and not full of loopholes like some of the chains that do exhaust work. Like Hachiroku says, you can take it to a dealer, have a new exhaust installed, and drive away without paying anything for the replacement exhaust if the one you paid to have replaced is defective. In fact, you can guarantee this by not authorizing any additional parts not covered by the warranty.

By the way, there are several reasons why the dealer will not just hand you the part over the counter.

1) The dealer must inspect the old part to see if it is a Toyota part and not an aftermarket part. 2) The dealer must inspect the old part to see if it is defective and not damaged from running over something or lifting improperly on a jack, etc. 3) The dealer has to hold on to the defective part as proof to the factory that it was defective and that he did the work. 4) There is nothing to prevent unscrupulous customers from getting a new part, selling it or putting it on a different vehicle, and then going to another dealer claiming yet another defective muffler.

Of the hundreds of thousands of customers served by the dealers I called on, you are the first to not want to take advantage of free labor. If you distrust your local dealer, take it to another one.

Reply to
Ray O

Do they not use hangers?

Many non-mechanics have been known to refer to hangers, and the other assorted hardware, as "clamps".

Reply to
B a r r y

Genuine Toyota exhausts have integral hangers that do not have to be bolted, clamped, or welded on by the installer. The hangers are attached to the car with rubber isolators, often called "donuts" by techs.

Genuine Toyota exhausts have a very clean design with very little extraneous hardware. It is 1 piece from the cat to the back of the car, and the only extra hardware is 2 bolts and the rubber donuts.

Reply to
Ray O

How can anyone answer you question when you have yet to post what your warranty says about replacing the part. Why not?

mike hunt

lookhot wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

Holy Crap. Have you tried another dealer? The warranty is honored (sorry, honoured..) at ANY Toyota dealer, as long as you have a receipt.

I'd be looking for sure...

Reply to
hachiroku

I doubt it...

Reply to
Keapon Laffin

your warranty says about replacing the part. Why not?

Because there isn't any, this in in Montreal and although all Toyota dealerships tell you the installed parts have a lifetime warranty this isn't written anywhere. But a verbal warranty is legal, I would like to find a written referance to this. Once again, with the strong consumer laws in Quebec I believe if the part fails to fullfill the promised liftetime I don't see that I have to pay....installation++ +.

Reply to
lookhot

The simple, common sense solution is to contact either the dealer or Toyota Canada's Montreal office and ask for a copy of the warranty.

Reply to
Ray O