Toyota Needs Discounts for Tundra Goal

From L&MT:

Press: Toyota Needs Discounts for Tundra Goal

Toyota Motor Corp. needs discounts on the Tundra truck to reach the goal of doubling its U.S. share for large pickups, the company's North American president said, according to Bloomberg News.

"Incentives for us are not strategic, they are tactical," Jim Press of Toyota Motor North America said in an interview in New York last week. "In the dealer-transaction price game, where the competitors really set the stage with their incentive activity, it drives us to the point where we recognize that incentives are part of this market."

Toyota in June began discounts of as much as $3,500 on the 2007 Tundra, Bloomberg said. Edmunds.com estimates the average Tundra incentive was $5,083 last month.

The revamped Tundra is bigger and more powerful than its predecessor and for the first time puts Toyota in direct competition with Ford's F-Series and GM's Chevrolet Silverado trucks, Bloomberg said. Tundra U.S. sales rose 44% to 82,840 in this year's first half, as the industrywide total for large pickups fell 3.1%. L&MT

Reply to
C. E. White

Yeah, and like no other full-size pickup does.

That sounds more like an aggressive internal goal, not a truck that isn't selling.

Tundra + 44% Market - 3.1%

Reply to
B A R R Y

Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

While Ed's (C.E. White's) views on All Things Toyota are not always correct, Ed certainly isn't a troll.

Reply to
DH

I just posted an intereting article I saw. I thought the article was balanced since it actually quoted a Toyota spokesman. The article acknowledged that incentives were needed because "....competitors really set the stage with their incentive activity, it drives us [Toyota] to the point where we [Toyota]recognize that incentives are part of this market."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ford and GM sold more full size trucks, in a relative few weeks, than Toyota has sold, at a paltry 82,840. in six months . The F150 sells at a rate nearly double that of Toyotas best selling vehicle, the Camry. Wards reports Toyota is not capturing many buyer from Ford, GM and Dodge. Rather they attracting buyers away from other import brands and from the Tacoma ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Try that again, Mike... This time read what it says, not just what you want it to say.

According to this:

Ford and GM truck sales are DOWN compared to this time last year, including your venerable F150.

Both the Tundra and Tacoma are UP 2007 vs. 2006 YTD. How is the Tundra stealing Tacoma sales, if the Tacoma is UP over last year?

BTW... "LOL"

Reply to
B A R R Y

Are you really that slow? Tundra sales are up, but up from 'very dismal' to 'dismal,' compared to domestic trucks. No question Ford truck sales are down but Ford and GM still sell more in a month or so, than Toyota in a year. Smaller truck sales, like the Tacoma sales, can be up even while Tacoma's are being traded on Tundra's, as Wards reported. Ranger sales are up as well. The F150 is still selling at a rate twice that of any Toyota, or any import that mater, whether you agree or not

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter