Toyota Pads w/ after market rotors

Hi,

So I went to the dealer this weekend because I got tired of my pulsating brakes. The pads were OK but after inspection, they claim the rotors were likely the originals which is odd considering the car has 133,000 miles. I bought the car from the same dealer when it had

65,000 miles. Makes me wonder why changing the rotors/brakes wasn't done by this same dealer prior to selling me the car.

Any way, they replaced the rotors with after market rotors and Toyota OEM brake pads. The difference is amazing... no more pulsating stops. Feels great.

Is there much of a difference between after market rotors and OEM? I'm guessing and/or hoping the dealer would use high quality after market rotors, not cheap ones but never know. If I have issues, I would certainly make them replace them with OEM ones.

So far so good.

I was charged $236 for new rotors and pads, that includes labor. No taxes. This was from Lithia Toyota/SCION in Medford, Oregon.

Thanks!

Reply to
mrsteveo

$236 isn't too bad. It cost me about that much to do all four rotors and new pads on all on an '85 Celica a couple years ago.

If they used the highest grade rotors, there shouldn't be a problem. They're usually made by Raybestos or Bendix in Canada, or maybe the US. There's often three grades, the cheapies made in China, a middle grade made in Taiwan, China or Canada, and the top level made in Canada or the US, or sometimes Mexico.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't think that is bad at all - decent rotors are about [retail] 70-80 each and pads about 40 set so sounds like fair price. FWIW, I've used Lithia here in Redding for about 10 years and they've been not cheap but repairs/maint always good. (I bought our 05 Avalon in Medford as they had what we wanted) I've used their "lifetime" oil filter service on both vehicles for this time also, a good buy in my mind. Ron in Ca

Reply to
ron

As I've mentioned before using aftermarket brake parts is a hit-or-miss proposition, but if the dealer has already experimented with someone else, then the aftermarket rotors they installed should be OK.

Reply to
Ray O

mrsteveo wrote:

mrsteveo: I replied this on your earlier 6/25 post, did not know if you saw it.

I have turned many rotors and drums for people and warped rotors causes can come from a few factors such as manufacturing, maintenance practices (lug bolt torque), and driving habits. Sometimes, resurfacing solves the problem, other times not. I found some information that I am cutting and pasting below for all to reference. It may answer alot of questions about a relatively common problem. I would not take the "brake bedding" area too seriously IMHO. When components have been replaced the best advice I can give is to just drive your vehicle normally. Nothing special. Trying to break in brakes by the untrained can break them.

Reply to
user