Toyota Pickup 1981 electrical problem

hi all,

so, now i?m totally confused, changed everything in my electrical system and my alternator still doesn?t work, it works when i go have it checked but doesn?t work in my truck. what could be wrong? thanks all.

warm regards,

jp

Reply to
jaimeworking

You say everything; have you checked the fusible links?

Reply to
hachiroku

"" wrote: > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:35:55 -0400, jaimeworking wrote: > > > hi all, > > > > so, now i?m totally confused, changed everything in my > electrical system > > and my alternator still doesn?t work, it works when i go > have it checked > > but doesn?t work in my truck. what could be wrong? thanks > all. > > > > warm regards, > > > > jp > > You say everything; have you checked the fusible links?

which are the fusible links?

Reply to
jaimeworking

On an '81, they are probably near the positive battery terminal; they look like giant fuse holders. There is either a real big fuse, or a piece of wire inside them. I know that's where they were on my '78 Corolla and back then the truck were a step or two behind the cars. I think my '80 Corolla had these type, also.

Alternately, look in the fuse block under the hood. There is usuall a piece of pink wire and a piece of pastel yellow (lovely colours, eh?) under the cover. These are the fusible links.

You can get fusible link wire at any parts store. But if you're blowing fusible links, you may well have another problem.

Reply to
hachiroku

"" wrote: > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 02:35:55 -0400, jaimeworking wrote: > > > "" wrote: > > > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:35:55 -0400, jaimeworking wrote: > > > > > > > hi all, > > > > > > > > so, now i?m totally confused, changed everything in my > > > electrical system > > > > and my alternator still doesn?t work, it works when i > go > > > have it checked > > > > but doesn?t work in my truck. what could be wrong? > thanks > > > all. > > > > > > > > warm regards, > > > > > > > > jp > > > > > > You say everything; have you checked the fusible links? > > > > which are the fusible links? > > On an '81, they are probably near the positive battery > terminal; they look > like giant fuse holders. There is either a real big fuse, or a > piece of > wire inside them. I know that's where they were on my '78 > Corolla and back > then the truck were a step or two behind the cars. I think my > '80 Corolla > had these type, also. > > Alternately, look in the fuse block under the hood. There is > usuall a > piece of pink wire and a piece of pastel yellow (lovely > colours, eh?) > under the cover. These are the fusible links. > > You can get fusible link wire at any parts store. But if > you're blowing > fusible links, you may well have another problem.

checked out the fusible links and they look good. what can cause the alternator not to run?

thanks all, you have helped me thru some real problems.

jp

Reply to
jaimeworking

Let's see, 1981...the only other thing I can think of (that is, me; others may have a different clue...) is that the voltage regulator may be off the alternator on this model and is blown. You say it teats (teats??? What the hell am I thinking!!?? Must have been thinking about that REAL cute one that came in with the baby this PM...Whoa! Lucky kid! He'll never go hungry!!! Let's try, TESTS!) good; are they testing voltage regulation? If the regulator is on board, then the alternator will run at a steady 12 VDC under test. If the VR is not on the alternator, then the output will vary from 9VDC to 18-20 VDC depending on how fast the rotator is turning, and the regulator will clamp it to 12 (actually, 13.8 VDC.) Some of the older models had the VR mouted elsewhere in the engine compartment, and, as I had mentioned, sometimes the trucks were a step or two behind the cars, so it is very well possible this does not have an on-board VR. Or, worse, the regulator also contains the rectifier curcuits, and is expecting a raw AC output. If the alternator you have has a built-in regulator, and is sending 13.8VDC to an off-board rectifer/VR that is expecting AC voltage, that is a REAL good reason why the circuit is not working!

As an aside, I was in Brattleboro VT this weekend and saw a 1976 E/5 Long Bed in IMMACULATE shape. It had 36,000 on it; belonged to the guy's Dad who parked it for the better part of 30 years in a garage...Nice truck!

Good Luck!

Reply to
hachiroku