toyota pickup electric fan conversion

i'm researching this, and see multiple reference to people using the fan and shroud from a taurus for their 22r conversion. but i can't see anything referencing /which/ taurus. anyone know the year?

Reply to
jim beam

91-95 unit from a 3.8 Taurus if it's the mod I'm thinking of that uses the fan and aftermarket controller.
Reply to
Steve W.

I always wondered why some of the fans in the cars in the junkyard had that extra part and other didn't.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

looking into this excellent tip further, if i'm getting the frod two-speed fan, i think i'm going to also use the frod relay controls rather than the uber-expensive and potentially problematic pwm aftermarket controller. two speeds is more than enough, and variable speed is pretty much completely unnecessary - especially since i've seen these controllers cause electrical noise issues with some of the older electronic ignitions. and the sensors they use are so fragile, they're a joke.

Reply to
jim beam

well, it turns out that indeed, that is the fan most people use, but on my particular vehicle, there's insufficient room for that fan assembly - i guess my radiator is slightly thicker than normal and therefore there's not enough gap. which is a shame because it's a great fit in terms of width and height.

i've got a working depth of about 3.5" [but would prefer slimmer if possible]. the supplemental a/c fan from an 88=91 civic is slim at just over 2", but it's only about 10" diameter - just too gutless. any other thoughts on slim oem fans of higher cfm that might be adapted?

Reply to
jim beam

What part of the taurus unit is hitting ? And what is it hitting ?

Reply to
Steve W.

the back of both the shroud and the motor push up against the water pump spindle, the power steering pulley, the belt and the tensioner. i can't trim any more off the shroud as the fan hub sticks forward too far and would touch the rad. and there's no benefit to trying to remove the rear shroud guard because it doesn't change the fact that the motor's sticking back too far.

the only solutions i can see are:

  1. get a slimmer radiator, which i don't want to do because i drive this vehicle up in the mountains, and at altitude, the air gets thin and it needs the heat exchanger efficiency.
  2. get a slimmer fan.

i'm going to go junkyard surfing this weekend to see what i can find, but thought i'd ask!

Reply to
jim beam

Steve W.