Toyota Previa Shift Linkage Adjustment Automatic Transmission

My Haynes repair manual indicates I need to adjust the "shift linkage" on my Previa. It has a close up diagram of the shift linkage. I'm dammed if I can find where the heck this is on the car however . There is no description or diagram to help narrow down where the shift linkage is located. I've spent quite some time under the car looking for something that looks similar to the close up diagram in the manual - to no avail.

If anyone knows where approximately on the car I should be looking for this obscure shift linkage thing please let me know. The reason I need to adjust this is the the gear selector indicator shows 'N' and 'D' simultaneously, which apparently points to a problem with the shift linkage. The problem is manifesting as sticking in first or second. It often won't go in to drive or overdrive even though thats the position the shifter is in even after the car has warmed up. I had to drive several km yesterday in first gear, eventually it came right, but the problem is getting rapidly worse and I drive about 700km a week so need to get this fixed ASAP.

I'm going to change the transmission fluid and filter also, but the oil looks very clean, however I think its overdue to be done. The previous owners didn't do a lot of maintenence.

I love my previa especially when it has 4 gears. If anyone knows how to find the "shift linkage" that the Haynes manual talks about please let me know. A fairly verbose description indicating where on the tramission or where on the car I should be looking would be very helpful. Theres nothing on the web that is helping me here.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
bobthecoder1

Actually, thanks to

I think this tends toindicate that the Haynes Manual has the incorrect picture for theshift linkage in section 7B-5 Diagram 4.4. Maybe I'll buy the chiltonmanual also.

Reply to
bobthecoder1

The transmission only has 2 linkages. 1 is for the throttle cable and the other is for the shifter. The throttle cable will have a thin wire, while the shift linkage will have a larger diameter. Linkages generally connect to the side of the transmission above the transmission oil pan.

Reply to
Ray O