Toyota Sounds

Hello! I have a 2005 Corolla automatic. When it gets up to 2200 to 2500 rpms, there's an extra engine noise..like a grating. When I get above aobut 2500, it goes away. Has nothing to do with my speed, just RPM. Dealership can find nothing wrong. Last night, also noticed soft, high-pitched squeal when idling. So, I have two new sounds. Any clues?

Reply to
Sal989

either a belt flapping or an exhaust rattle, particularly a breaking up cat. squeal is probably a belt, spray them with water if it stops momentarily then you know the fault is with the belt, get it changed.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

"Sal989" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

i notice alot of drive belt noise on our 04 and 05 corolla's (fleet) that seems to be poor belt tension. flexing the tensioner and cleaning the belt (steel toothbrush and emory cloth) gets rid of tthe noise i attack........kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

I would check your belts for cracks on the underside/pulley side. Any visible cracks mean they need replacing. The one you can't see is the timing belt. If your mileage is over the limit for changing the timing belt I would get that done right away. If it's like a Camry this belt also drives the water pump which I would recommend also changing with a timing belt job. I don't understand why the mechanics couldn't find the problem by running up the RPM and using a stethoscope type device with a rod on the end. It's used to detect bad bearings and find the source of these noises. Anyway, this noise is something you definitely want to find the source of before something more can get damaged. One more thing, try turning your steering to the left or right limit. This puts a strain on the steering pump and would make that belt squeel if it's loose. Good luck.

Sal989 wrote:

Reply to
Joey

The car in question uses a timing chain, not a belt.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Then, is the timing chain something I should ask the dealership to look into?

Reply to
Sal989

Sal,

I was not aware your model used a timing chain. They don't get replaced like a timing belt and would not cause the noise you're referring to. Are you positively sure this model uses a timing chain and not belt ?

Joey

The Corolla has been chain driven starting with the '98 model.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit