Toyota Starlet window question

My driver's window was a little stiff and then the mechanism eventually broken (I had to press down on the window while turning the handle to open the window after that). This will result in a fail on the car's NCT (National Car Test) which I have to take in a few weeks, so I thought I would have a go at fixing it.

The car is a 1990 Toyota Starlet, so pretty much not worth spending alot to get it fixed.

Anyway, I tried to have a look at the mechanism to see if I could fix it. The problem was the the metal bar that is attached to the bottom of the glass had become disconnected at one side.

I managed to fix it, but not as good as originally. The connection new connection was glued to the window.

Anyway, then I opened the window fully and heard a click. I think the window jumped out of its guide on the side nearest the hinge of the door. It now won't close.

Anyway, now on to the questions:

I have managed to remove most of the cover to see the mechanism of the window, but I can't remove the handle that opens the window. Is there a trick to removing it ? This is the only piece that is preventing me from removing the entire cover. Atm I have to rotate the cover to see into the window mechanism.

If I have to get it fixed, do I need to replace the entire door, or is there some way to replace a window without replacing the entire door? It looks to me like the door is welded together after the window is put in place.

Is there an easy way to "pop" the window back into the guide rail?

My plan is (was) to just keep using this car until it doesn't drive anymore. However, if I can't fix the window, then it will fail the NCT and it is illegal to drive.

Reply to
raphfrk

There is a tool you can buy for a few (...Dollars? I'm guessing you're in NZ...or is that Kiwis? ;)

Or, take a shop rag, get it behind the widow handle and pull it back and forth. CAREFUL!!! It may go flying this way!

Or, do what I do. Get a screwdriver (or a curved pick) push in on the door trim, and you'll see the brass colored clip; slide the driver into the loop and pull it off.

Sounds like you have something else going on here. Look for rust, or a missing bolt or something. Is the windows getting c*ck-eyed before it jumps?

Grease the tracks also. This might help.

They'll fail the Fitness Test because a window won't go down?!?!?!

I though Massachusetts was tough!!!! WOW!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Actually, Irish, so Euros.

I seem to vaguely remember doing something like that last time (when I put in back on, or maybe I am remembering something else). However, I can't seem to see the brass clip. I probably did to good a job putting the clip on "securely" last time :).

I think the problem is that my new connection isn't rigid enough. This means that the window comes away from the rail on that side and then the corner digs into the rail..

I am going to go see if I can bolt it.

I disconnected the new connection and was able to get the window to close again. I think you are right, it didn't come out of the rail. The problem was that the angle of the window was wrong. At least I can close it again now.

Yeah going to spray more oil.

The theory is that if your indicators were to fail, you need to be able to open the window to do hand signals.

(It is mainly that they want any excuse to fail you, as you have to pay again to do a re-test, even though they only check what failed on the previous test).

Reply to
raphfrk

Anyway, think I have it working now, thanks for your help.

Reply to
raphfrk