Toyota Truestart Batteries

I received a mailing from Toyota about a deal on their Truestart batteries, and as it happens, I need a new battery for my 2000 Camry.

Not surprising, since this is the 5th winter, and I've never had a battery last thru 5 winters in all the cars I've ever owned.

I have a Sears around the corner, and I've had replacement Diehards which I'm not really a big fan of. I think they are overpriced, but the only worthwhile thing SEEMS to be their warranty. Someone mentioned to me that one of Pep Boy's batteries was just rated very high, and I have a Pep Boys right across the street from my local Toyota Dealer.

I do plan on keeping the car for a few more years, so a cheap battery won't be good for me in the long run.

Toyota wants $80 (plus tax) installed. The best Diehard is about the same thing, with the higher rated Pep Boys battery about $20 less.

It's not really about the money, I'd spend the extra $20 if I knew for sure that I was getting something really better, and not just paying for the name. After all, if the battery lasts 5 years, it comes out to $4 a year for the better battery, if it really is better.

If you've had experience with this, do you think the Toyota battery is worth it?

Reply to
Steve

Assuming that the batteries have comparable power - CCA, price, store convenience, and warranty are the decision factors.

Toyota dealers used to sell Interstate batteries, which I have used in the past. They had no problems lasting at least 5 years and rarely saw defective ones. I don't know if the Truestart batteries are supplied by Interstate.

I have also used Diehards with pretty good results, although I did have Diehard that failed to hold a charge after about a week.

The reason I buy batteries from Toyota dealers and Sears is that they are both located throughout the country and common enough that I could get a warranty replacement even if I'm on vacation. This is more of a convenience factor for me.

Pep Boys is relatively new in the Chicago area so without doing some research, I don't know how many outlets there are.

Reply to
Ray O

The Truestart battery isn't the same as the OEM battery. The OEM batteries are generally Panasonic. Truestart batteries are made by Johnson Controls (makers of Diehards, Duralast, Energizer, Everstart, Motorcraft, and Pep Boys Prostart, among others).

Battery life has much, much more to do with the way the battery is treated (depth and number of cycles, and temperature extremes) than it does with who makes it.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

In dealing with lead acid batteries I would make my decision on how long the battery sitting and slowly discharged. Lead acid batteries will start to sulfate if left in an uncharged state for even a few days. Here is what I do: I go into auto part stores with my digital meter. A fully charged battery will be 12.70 volts or higher. If it's over 12.85 it was probably just charged within 24 hours. If it is 12.5 volts or less is has been sitting for a few months and may not be fresh and will have started to sulfate. Whatever you do don't let anyone hook up a charger greater than 15 amp (10 is even better) to "freshen" the battery. That will cut the life of the battery significantly.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

I replaced the original battery in my 1998 Sienna last fall with one from Sam's Club. I selected it because it was comparable with the OEM and had removable caps... thus allowing me to check the water level.

Reply to
Jim Simonin

I need to get a battery tester. I have a car with an eight year old battery. It started fine and ran a week ago. A few day ago, the battery would not turn over the car. I put the battery on a charger and it is fully charged in a few minutes and starts the car just fine. If the car developed a short and drained the battery, I don't think it would be fully charged in just a few minutes. Can I assume the battery is on its last legs?

Reply to
ma_twain

Eight years is way past the average lifespan for lead acid auto batteries.

Just replace it.

Reply to
Travis Jordan