Toyota Tundra: First Impression

They worked great for me and my dad. He owned an automotive machine shop. And they helped pay for my college.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Avalonman

My SO spent at least $4k more for her RAV4 than for a similarly equipped Escape. She doesn't really care about a lot of things, she just wants the car to go. She wouldn't even consider an Escape. Based on the experiences of people I personally know, the is likely to just as well as the RAV4 for $4k less.Throwing away $4K because it says "Toyota" is screwing yourself. Another friend bought a Tacoma. He made $5k more for his Tacoma than I paid for my better equipped Frontier. Throwing away $5k because it says "Toyota" is screwing yourself.. Not even considering anything unless it says "Toyota" on the vehicle is screwing yourself.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Spoken like someone who never owned a Pinto. I owned 2. The first one had over 150k when it left the family (sold to a random local buyer). The second only had a round 90k when I sold it to a co-worker. His three children drove it until all were out of college (another 6 years). I have no idea how miles it had on it when they sold it (still running). The co-worker never owned a Ford before or after the Pinto, but he acknowledged it was the toughest car he ever owned.

I would but a 1972 Pinto up against in apiece of junk 1972 Toyota you want to drag out of the junk yard (if there is enough left to identify one). I beat the crap out of my 1972 Pinto, and it was indestructible. I autocrossed it every chance I got (probably around 50 events total) and although I only finished first a couple of times, I never lost to a Toyota.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Are you saying that there is no acid rain in upstate NY? That's even worse - & more ignorant - then contending it originates locally.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

messagenews:C53Gh.5721$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Try

Ed White

And I don't know why anyone would want to buy acid rain, either.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Are you aware that certain years and models of Ford Escape set new lows for resale value percentage?

I didn't think so...

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

And this would make absolutely no difference to her. Her old Camry was a hard sale at $500. Her old Pymouth van was worth just as much ($500) to the junk yard .

And this sounds like a really good reason to purchase a 1 or 2 year old used Escape.

I looked at the resale valuses for Escapes. Looks like for the first two years they really take a big hit. This is probably a result of all the incentives Ford has been offering on new Escapes. For most people, the payments on a new Escape would be less than the payements on a 2 or 3 year old Escape. This of course drives the resale value down. After the vehicles are more than 3 years old, the RAV4 and Escape resale values are much closer, even though RAV4 buyers paid more for their vehiecles.

Escape XLS - 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic Private Party Value, Good Condition, Average Mileage

2001 - 6985 2002 - 8630 2003 - 9005 2004 - 10320 2005 - 11620

RAV4 - 4 cylinder, 2WD, Automatic, Private Party Value, Good Condition, Average Mileage

2001 - 8615 2002 - 9025 2003 - 11835 2004 - 14550 2005 - 16315

I ponited out it is irrelevant to someone who drives a car until it is dirt.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You are free to believe whatever you choose. We machined the head and put in new hardened seats anyway. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

My first car was a '32 Dodge Brothers sedan. I was a moonshine runner Ii got from my grandfather. I wish I still had it for my collection ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yeah, except she wanted a new car.

Reality check - back then, new Ravs were not as expensive as today.

Reality check - I just looked to see what's offered for sale around here in Escapes and Ravs. The median asking price for Escapes is $5,000 less than for the Rav ($9K vs $14K).

Actually, it's not. Needs change and if you've bought a car that depreciates like it was going over a cliff, that limits your options when your needs change.

And superior long-term reliability is *really* important to people who drive the car forever. I don't think Ford's there quite yet.

Reply to
dh

I owned two other Pintos, a 75 and a 79. My kids ran one 125K and the other to 130K before I sold them. My 71 set a hill climb speed record in 1972 for

2L sedans, that has yet to be broken,. All the guys running expensive BMWs where pissed.

I'm not sure if it was the car or me that set the record. Back in my racing days I had lots of balls and seldom lost a race. After five kids and a bunch of wrecks I quit racing. The only guy that constantly beat me, when I was running a 32 Ford coupe back in the sixties on the dirt tracks in PA and NJ, was Mario. Now there was a guy with balls. We said about him that he would ether win, wreck or blow the engine

Although there are several Pinto sits and clubs, it is hard to get parts for them today. The Pinto chassis was a favorite for retro cars and it become "1932 Ford" of dirt track racing in the nineties and the bodies got gobbled up.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

And my beliefs are based on evidence and experince.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That becomes painfully obvious when one compares the Vibe and The Matrix as well. The proof is in the pudding as they say, when it comes to what buyers prefer. The Escape is the number one selling small SUV. The guys in this NG would like to have us believe all Toyotas are better than any others. Buyers think otherwise. The only Toyotas that are number one sellers in their class are the Camry and the Prius. I every other, of the twenty some classes, some other manufacturer is number one and the majority of number one sellers are domestics.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

One must consider resale value on the percentage retained of the actual selling price not the MSRP. At three year old Toyota may appear to be worth more than a domestic by $4,000 in NADA, but when you consider the domestic cost $5,000 less to drive home when new, it is not as good, let alone better.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If GM's so wonderful, why are they losing money on their cars? Yes, there's a cost difference, but it pales in comparison to the price difference.

Someone linked an article today pointing out that the Impala is selling for

35% LESS than a Camry. In economic terms, that means Chevy has to discount an Impala to that point before car buyers think it's equivalent to a Toyota Camry.

If GM's are BETTER, shouldn't they be selling for MORE?

Reply to
dh

I would love to the list of the top selling vehicles in each class. Do you have a link to it?

Thanks.

jeff

Reply to
Jeff

No me I simply guess then hope for the best. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Does that mean your think I should get rid of my 1941 as well as my 1964,

1971, 1972, and 1983 because the will not last very long? Maybe I should sell them. They have from 110K to 300K on the clock and worth at least four to ten times what I paid for them ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter