toyota website

This must be one of the slowest websites on the internet.

It takes forever to navigate due to the fancy-shmanzy graphics/animations which add zero to the information content.

Arghh ... it *is* possible to have a nice site that's not crawling

(sorry, just had to vent)

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

I agree. There are some really stupid site "designers" drawing a wage. They don't seem to understand it's all about communication rather than showing-off. Vanilla, unadorned, standards-compliant HTML 4.0 will do an amazing amount -- and is fast. Just wait for the day when the Internet charges for all traffic by the byte.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

snipped-for-privacy@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@deltrak.demon.co.uk:

You two must be using dialup, my broadband connection loaded the site in just over one second.

Reply to
Blondie

Nope, fast DSL .. just like Andrew said, it's a design issue. All the graphics just ad unnecessary overhead.

Different strokes for different folks .. :-)

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian

Esmail Bonakdarian wrote in news:8VBTg.1472$3T2.724@trnddc06:

Hmmmmm, tend to agree with you about the multimedia bloat on the website. My broadband cable modem connection averages 3.2 to 3.7 Mbps DL speed, sometimes I forget just how fast I DL data. Can you imagine what the poor beggars who have no option but dialup are going through to view the website?

Reply to
Blondie

This multimedia is called Flash, and in my opinion a HORRIBLE way to build a complete site from. I don't mind flash for use in showing video/animations (even cheesey games) but using it for page content and navigation is a dumb move by Toyota. I am a bit biased as a Linux user because I am unable to even use the site in Linux (as we're still only able to use Flash 7.x, of which Toyota stupidly does not work under). In doing site design like this, you're forcing your audience (and potential customers) to download/install a 3rd party proprietary application just to view your site. This almost persuded me to not bother checking out any Toyota cars a few months back when we were buying a new car. I hated going to the dealership unprepared with approx. pricing and model options.

Bl> Esmail Bonakdarian wrote in

Reply to
grodenhi

ditto here, though I also have a XP box for use. Every web page I have put together has always been with focus on contents not so much flash (pun intended). Or I had two version, a low graphics version, and one that indulged in it. Personally, I love google's philosophy, lean and mean.

And if you want to have those heavy duty animations available, make them optional or use them for special features, not general navigation.

Oh well .. Honda's just as bad as I found out.

Cheers, Esmail

Reply to
Esmail Bonakdarian