Toyota Wiper Inserts for a 1990 Corolla

I went in for inspection and they demanded I get new wiper blades. I shrugged, figured they could use a change and let them put them on.

A week later when it actually rained, I tried to use my new wipers and one fell off. Let me tell you this is alot of fun going 50 in the rain.

Long story short, it looks like one arm is missing a part that connects to the female end of the wiper arm, the part that holds the pin in. The arm itself is intact, and I have the pin, it just slides right out again. The other arm has one, it looks newish so I figure the must be available after market.

So, where can I find one and what the heck is it called? (wiper insert?)

Thanks,

-Mike

Reply to
mike.siegel

Find your receipt and take it back to the ones that botched the job and demand that they fix it.

Lee Richardson Mech-Tech

Reply to
Lee Richardson

I'm assuming you're too far from the car dealer to make it worth going back and making a loud obnoxious scene (which you should, because they tried to kill you), at 8:00 AM when LOTS of people are dropping their cars off. If this is correct, I'd call it a learning experience, and go buy your own new set of wipers from an auto parts store. Anco and Trico wipers usually come with a little packet of parts to help fit their products to different wiper arms. Bring a few tools and try installing the blades in the parking lot. If something's missing, go back into the store, and someone will probably give you whatever you need to finish the job.

Don't EVER go back to the dealer whose mechanics tried to kill you. And, save the extra parts from the wiper package. I have 20 years' worth of them. They'll come in handy on a future car.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yeah, I'm trying to find a receipt. Honestly my first instinct is to go yell at them but never let them touch my car again.

I bought a new pair of blades, it doesnt seem the blades are the problem. Its the doo-hicky that attaches the blades to the arm. It seems to be miss> >I went in for inspection and they demanded I get new wiper blades. I

Reply to
mike.siegel

I've never had a problem replacing the whole metal portion. I don't do it for any particular reason, except the fact that I rarely see just the blades available.

The arms have a U-shaped bend at the end. Every set of wipers I've ever bought has come with the necessary parts to match that shape. It's not rocket science. However, dirt & salt can build up in there, making it a bitch to take apart, especially with cold fingers. So, I spray some white lithium grease on a Q-tip, and wipe all the mating surfaces with that stuff. That makes future disassembly a little easier.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The problem is, the blades to not attach to the arm in an intuitive way. I think I can do a brake job a lot faster than I can change wiper blades. Changine inserts is a lot easier and cheaper.

Reply to
Ray O

When I need new wipers, I go to VIP Auto (discount store). They send someone out to put the new wiper blade in. It's easy for them because they know what they are doing.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

If you get a decent wiper blade, like Bosch or Trico, they give you about

3 parts inside the bag to adapt the blade to your car. You remove the screws, and then clip the new one directly on! It even has a hole so you can screw it in if you wish. Did you get the absolutely cheapest ones you could find?

And, changing inserts is a royal PITA. You can get then at AutoZone or Wal*Mart. But you have my sympathy!

Pick up some Band-Aids while you're there, too!

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

Nah. Like I said, buy a good one. There will be a pice that clips or screws onto the arm and fits the blade. Once you've put the clip on the arm, new blades snap in and out.

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

I think Toyota is getting away from the rubber inserts.

That was always fun (no two were done the same way).

Reply to
Scott in Florida