Toyota Yaris?

"Well below 3,000 RPM." How many is half as many RPMs as well below

3,000?
Reply to
Norm De Plume

Sure it is!...you can't change physics...as a matter of fact if 'your' vehicle were 'heavy enough' then you'd have no need to buckle up at all, and you wouldn't even feel it when you tore another vehicle to shreds...think about it a minute...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Unless you get hit by a locomotive. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are not a math major I presume? Hint; my cars run at around 1,500 RPM at 55 MPH LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Horsepower @ 6000 RPM is available for accelerating for passing and maneuvering. Horsepower is not needed for cruising. The 2007 Yaris in my two-day experience has excellent HP/weight ratio, a very responsive little city runabout. I am comparing it to my 2000 Civic hatchback, a light car with similiar HP. I did a few 100 k/hr turns on the freeway also, and those were fine also. It's not road-noisy.

Reply to
Dutch

I don't golf alone Mike, but I often travel to the course or the range in my own vehicle. Your comment specifically said, "I don't think *my* golf clubs and cart would fit with out a shoe horn.." and the response to that is yes they will, easily. Four sets with carts, and four guys, no way, it's a subcompact fgs.

Reply to
Dutch

Of course!...that's my point, if it works in 'this' instance then it works in all instances doesn't it?

The heavier 'your vehicle' is then the 'safer' you are, so, unlike what you stated, weight 'does' matter...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

We're over there to reduce our oil consumption and reliance on Middle Eastern oil?

Seems like a strange way to achieve that objective.

***
Reply to
dh

You know the typical automotive diesel, the only kind relevant to this thread, doesn't make it anywhere close to 1,000,000 miles, and I doubt it lasts any longer than a typical automotive otto.

Reply to
rantonrave

You gave such an imprecise answer that you seemed to be a sociology or art history major or someone who did really bad work.

Reply to
Norm De Plume

"Half that many" RPMs would be under 1000 RPMs. My 2.0L Toyotas "cruse" at under 2000 RPMs at 55mph.

***
Reply to
dh

Then why did you ask, "How many is half as many RPMs as well below 3,000?

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are entitle to believe whatever you wish ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I didn't ask that, it was someone else. You should read more carefully.

I was simply pointing out that your generalization, that V6's and V8s typically "cruse" at half the RPMs or 4-cylinders was wrong. Which is the usual case with you.

***
Reply to
DH

As I have pointed out numerous times, one can not defy the laws of physics. The heaver the vehicle the safer it is for properly belted passengers, period.

The reason the average SUV is safer than a small car has more to do with its size, than its weight however. Larger vehicles are generally heaver but more importantly the larger vehicles allows for more room into which we could develop crumple zone that will reduce the rate at which the force of the collision can be absorbed, and thus reduce the terminal speed at which the organs, of properly belted passengers, will strike their skeleton. It the organs strike the skeleton at sufficient speed, the result is a more serious injury or death. Few realize that a passenger in a vehicle like an SUV or large sedan, rated at four stars by the NHTSA, will fair better than passengers in a five star rated smaller car or SUV in the same collision.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are confused. It is torque that gets vehicle going, and keeps it going on a grade, not horsepower. Horsepower it what produces speed. Even a small four can go 100 MPH, but it takes torque at the proper RPMs, to keep it going that fast up a grade

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Then why are you even responding? You should have read more carefully, or are you just one of those that likes to comment on every post?. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Because you directed a question to me, specifically, you dolt.

***
Reply to
DH

That statement is silly, both for its poor grammar and poor logic.

Point out one type of automotive diesel where at least 10% of them have made it to 1M miles.

Reply to
rantonrave

Really? Every post is directed to you? There is a name for people who believe things like that. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter