trading in relatives car, for my [new] car ?

I'm thinking of buying a new car, Highlander or Avalon, at the end of 2014

can I use my mother's old car as a trade-in, without transferring Title to me, to save all the [California] transfer costs?

marc

Reply to
marco

Yep. Just have your mother sign the pink slip. Also perhaps a signed note that you can sell/trade in her car and keep the money. You do not need to have the note say that she sold the car to you. BTW, in Calif, Parents can give their cars to their kids tax free and without a smog check, so you are home free anyway. I did that for my kid with my old car. But he was

21 years old at the time.

Reply to
uncle_vito

thanks vito,

i wanted to hear something like this

marc

Reply to
marco

a related question

can i give a car to my parents in Calif, tax free? or is it only parents to kids?

marc

Reply to
marco

Don't know. Look it up. Perhaps in the DMV handbook, on the internet, or ask the DMV/AAA

Reply to
uncle_vito