Trading like model car for different color

Just wondering if anyone has managed to do this without having to cough up additional major bucks? Let's say the local dealer has the same model Yaris on his lot; perhaps it was a daily rental and has close to the same mileage as mine. Similar features; just the color I want (mine is red, I'd prefer dark blue). Is it a major hassle to trade? Or should I just wait 2 more years and "trade up" and get the color I want then (I was desperate to buy before the registration on my Festiva expired...otherwise I would have waited until a color I wanted was available).

Reply to
Seerialmom

You are kidding, right?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Why would that be kidding? I bought the car 7 months ago...not crazy about the color "red"...I'd prefer a different a color like "blue". So the question is whether or not dealers (let's say the one I bought from) would trade mine for one they have on their lot with similar features/mileage. I realize they're in business to "sell" cars; but perhaps they have 2 customers just chomping at the bit to buy a red Yaris.

Reply to
Seerialmom

A dealer does not do a transaction unless he is making a lot of money on it. Wear blue tinted glasses.

Reply to
Art

Oh well...it was just an idea. I suspected that would be the case but didn't think it'd hurt to consider it.

Reply to
Seerialmom

I doubt he is kidding. I worked with a guy that was about 50 years old and his wife was about the same age. They bought a new car, got home and his wife just then noticed that it had a brown interior. She said the last car they had was brown inside and she wanted another color. They turned around and drove back to the dealer and got a car like it with a differant color. Atleast it did not cost them anything to do that as it was a new car and they only put about 15 miles on it. I can see how after several months one could get tired of a color.

Not throwing off on the origional plster, but the man and woman above were a couple of nut cases anyway. They were always doing 'funny' things. Man called his wife from work and had to ask her if he needed a haircut. Now just how was she suspose to know what his hair looked like over the phone ?

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Think of the following:

Car Dealer = business

Buy = wholesale

Sell = retail

Kabeesh?

Reply to
Bonehenge

Gee, maybe they look at each other in the morning or during the day or evening.

Sometimes couples are weird like that.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I agree with Mike. Not only does the dealer have paperwork and there are registration fees to be paid, but the dealer has to inspect and clean the car. And the dealer has to wonder and check for something wrong with the car or some damage. And the dealer would want to make a profit off the deal. That's what they are in business for.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Just get it painted. It will be cheaper.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Now that is the WORST idea of all. Repainting a car is not a good idea unless the original color is so faded and full of scratches that it looks disreputable, and painting a car a different color is a disaster, unless your take the damn thing apart and paint it in all the places that never show, like the inside of the hood and trunk, door jambs, etc. and it costs a fortune. Better to decide you really like 'red'. Or keep it a couple of years. People are funny about buying cars. I saw, a decade ago, while I was purchasing a used Camry, a Ford Taurus in the shop of a GM dealer, which the salesman pointed out. He said "look at the mileage" ...it was under 500 miles. When I questioned him as to why it was a trade-in, he said that an elderly couple had been looking at a Buick Century (small) but then bought the Taurus elsewhere. In less than 500 miles, they found that the Taurus was too big, hard to park, etc. so they traded it in for the Buick which they had liked in the first place. As the salesman said wryly, it was the most expensive 500 miles they ever drove.

Reply to
mack

Agreed. What kind of idiot would just trade a car on account of colour?

Reply to
sharx35

Why not just get a new paint job?

Should be a lot less (maybe just a grand or so) than what the dealer would charge for a changeover

David - who w> > > A dealer does not do a transaction unless he is making a lot of money on it.

Reply to
quietguy

To paint a car with good paint?! Try $2500-3200, to get almost as good a finish as the one you're covering!

And bear in mind, if you get a cheapie, when you open the door, the jambs will be red. When you open the hood the inside of the hood will be red. When you go to trade the car, the guy looking at the trade for evaluation will wonder *WTF*...he didn't like the color...right...and knock at least $750 off for the repaint, more realistically $2000 suspecting an accident, no matter WHAT you tell him! That makes the cost $3250-5200 for the repaint!

Even doing it right there will be a lot of traces of red paint all over the place. You can paint the inside of the hood, and TRY to do your best on the engine compartment, but you're not going to get it all. The hatch will have to be taken apart, as will the doors.

This is MUCH more trouble than it's worth! My advice to the OP is to take a chance, call around to the dealers and see if you can get an even swap. They may just have a customer holding out for a red one with low mileage and would be willing to make a swap!

Reply to
Hachiroku